Author Topic: Next build.....?  (Read 3417 times)

dlbarr

Next build.....?
« on: February 27, 2014, 10:59:34 AM »
I'm currently working on an English Sporting Rifle and hope to finish by April (to give myself a birthday gift).

Had never thought of pursuing gun building but....well, you know. After lurking around here for a few days, I think this is a new interest now. Anyway, thinking of building a F&I period smooth bore trade gun and would appreciate some input. Should I go for a kit gun like from TOW or Chambers or......? If I build from scratch, what  barrel should I use? (I did have a trade gun in the past made by a semi-custom maker; had a LongHammock barrel I believe - don't really want to do that again)

Probably alot of questions I don't even know I should be asking.....what considerations are there that I need to look at?

Thanks.

Ray Pennington

Re: Next build.....?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 02:41:52 PM »
Dave, I'm a "newbe" also!! LOL  I have built a couple kits (cheap ones) I the past, but now I came across a Bill Large .54 Oct. barrel and semi cut stock and I have the bug really really bad!!  These guy are absolutely great in helping us beginners and all you have to do is ask.

Again, don't be afraid to ask questions and eventually you will get answers and be sure to learn how to upload pictures through "Photo Bucket"

Regards;
Ray Pennington
South Point, Ohio

galamb

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:30:55 PM »
Dave, if you are specifically looking for a Trade Gun kit from that narrow time period you may want to check out NorthStar West's website.

The have very limited offerings but their stuff is copied from originals - they even make their own locks to go with their kits.

Here's the website http://www.northstarwest.com/Default.aspx

You can compare their Trade Gun to the one offered by Track - they are both Barnett patterns, and draw your own conclusions.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 12:15:30 AM »
Long Hammock makes nice smoothbore barrels. I have used a couple and they were tack drivers. They tend to have longer barrels in stock some times. Rice, Burton, Getz, Coleraine are all good barrels, each with their own group of followers.

If you have an opportunity to handle originals like what you want to build then make the decision and find the barrel that best fits what you decided on. When you are building from a blank architecture is you first priority..... I have found that it rally helps to have hands on feel for the gun you want to build.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 12:20:25 AM »
You can compare their Trade Gun to the one offered by Track - they are both Barnett patterns, and draw your own conclusions.

That would be a hard conclusion to come too. Original Barnetts are somewhat plentiful, relatively speaking, and cover quite a good span of years, and have lots of variance.
Psalms 144

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 03:38:27 AM »
While you are at it, go ahead and start thinking about the next one after the next one. Maybe order a lock or guard. It softens the financial blow a little and keeps you going.

dlbarr

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 04:33:19 AM »
While you are at it, go ahead and start thinking about the next one after the next one. Maybe order a lock or guard. It softens the financial blow a little and keeps you going.

That's a great idea, Pete! Think I'll go over to Chamber's site and pick out a queen anne lock or something like that...

dlbarr

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 06:28:01 AM »
OK Pete you got me really thinking forward now.....I was looking at Dunlap Woodcrafts, which is a recommended stock vendor at this site, and I am astounded at the seemingly low prices for his product. I was under the impression that a super premium maple billet would be in the $350-400 range. His list for 150-175.

Am I missing something here? Or was my expectation unrealistic. At those prices it seem reasonable to stock up for the next couple or three builds(?) ....Maybe some of you builders do?