Author Topic: Questions about a rifle  (Read 5815 times)

Offline Rich N.

• Starting Member
Questions about a rifle
« on: February 27, 2014, 08:24:03 PM »
I saw this rifle a few weeks ago and thought that from the collective wisdom of this list, you might be able to answer a few questions that arose when I looked at it.  The rifle was made by John Parks, but was it by Sr. or Jr.?  John Parks Sr. died in 1846 and this gun looks like it might have been made after that time even though it is signed "J.P.".  When would be a good guess as to when this gun was made and is it possible his son stopped using the "Jr." after the death of his father?  Overall, the gun is in great condition and has some of the best faux striping that I have seen on a gun from the area where they worked.  How was this striping done?  I have heard various ideas about how it was accomplished, but never had a good explanation. The gun is 58 and 1/2 inches o.a. with a 36 caliber 42 and 1/2 inch rifled barrel.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:06:33 PM by Rich N. »

Offline Don Getz

Re: Questions about a rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 09:22:27 PM »
Rich........now that is what I would call "tiger striped", however, it misses the mark when you calll it curly maple.  I have not
looked at many Park's rifles.  It's a Snyder county gun, but I can't help with the Junior/Senior bit.........Don

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 01:23:52 AM »
With the butt plate and trigger guard , I would say after 1860.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 04:32:47 AM »
As to the tiger striping, it looks like to me that it was just painted on with iron gaul ink.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
As to the tiger striping, it looks like to me that it was just painted on with iron gaul ink.

Good eyes, Mark.  One can also see the worn ink between the rear of the entry thimble and the front of the long brass plate that covers the bottom of the ramrod hole and also behind that plate, from wear abrasion on those areas of the stock.

Gus. 

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 04:10:12 PM »
Does that mean I could use black felt marker on my next rifle?? ::)
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 07:33:40 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures!

As for Jr. or Sr. as the maker, other than the shape of the comb line, this rifle has no resemblance to my John Park Sr. rifle. Based on that skimpy evidence, I'd say this one was made by Jr.

Too bad someone felt the need to go after it with a felt tip marker....

John

John Robbins

Offline Rich N.

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 09:16:20 PM »
Nate and John, thanks for the input on the date and probable maker.  I too suspected a rifle made sometime in the 1860's and that it was made by John Parks, Jr. but he is known to have signed his guns "J.P. Jr." as well.  The shape of the stock is very typical of other John Parks rifles that I have seen, but the wood between the patchbox lid and the side plates is not something you see very often on rifles from the Upper Susquehanna.

Mark and Gus, you noted that it was striped with "iron gaul ink".  Was this the same kind of ink used to write with an ink pen, and how was it applied, did they use a brush or did they have a special tool?  I have seen furniture that was "grained" and supposedly they had a special tool to do the graining.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 12:52:43 AM »
John.........you were bemoaning the fact that someone put those silly stripes on the gun.  This gun is not  unique, I have seen
several like this.  I sold a J. Fordney that was done with stripes added, I never saw one that really looked good......Don

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 02:45:35 AM »
Well Don it looks like it had them originally, like several makers did. And it looks like the original color is still there a little on a stripe in the back half of the side plate side picture.
It's the shiny newish looking black striping that I was bemoaning!

John
John Robbins

Offline Artificer

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 05:58:37 AM »
Rich N,

Just want to make sure everyone knows it was Mark Elliot, with his good eyes, who correctly noted it was Iron Gall Ink.  Here is one of many links on it.

http://irongallink.org/igi_index8f4d.html

As to “artificial graining,” I have forgotten the French Term for it that I first learned when visiting Andrew Jackson’s “The Hermitage” outside Nashville, TN in the early 80’s.  On the tour, I was really surprised at how massive the bedposts and other walnut furniture was, but also how much of the interior woodwork had so much figure in it.  The tour guide explained Jackson had paid for a French Artist to come to Nashville and artificial grain so much of the woodwork as it was then “in style.”  I was very surprised at that because paying someone to come from France to do the work seems like it would have been so much more expensive than selecting well figured wood locally or at least in Tenn.  I am afraid I don’t remember the time period this was done, though I seem to recall the 1820’s or 30’s. 

I bring up the artificial graining at The Hermitage because it was so expertly done.  My Paternal Grandpa kept a LOT of walnut at home to make furniture, so I grew up looking at a lot of it and of course the furniture he made from it.  I looked at a LOT of the artificial graining done at The Hermitage and I have to say it would have fooled even some very knowledgeable “wood people.”   The Tour Guide did not know much about how the work was done, but the graining was often so tiny that it had to have been done using fine artist’s brushes and perhaps at times only one or two hairs of the brush.  I do remember mention of a brush called a “Mottler,” as a very specialized tool for that work.  As I understand it, in the 19th century this work was done normally by various brushes that were called “tools” at the time. 

The artificial graining on this rifle looks like it may have been applied using rags instead of brushes due to the many blotches on it.  Or it may have been applied with a brush in a heavy handed manner.  It is nowhere near the quality of artificial graining I saw at The Hermitage.  I may be going out on a limb here, but it looks like the quality of the graining does not match the quality of the rifle?   I wonder if the artificial graining was added by a previous owner after he got the gun from the gunsmith?
Gus

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 06:23:46 AM »
The British did a lot of such "graining" as well and people who wanted to remodel would have a "grainer" come in and redo all the woodwork. To the point of even making it look like a different species. I have a book around here someplace with formulas and techniques in it I think.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 06:26:30 AM »
Book is "Graining Ancient and Modern" by William E. Wall 3rd Edition 1937.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 06:37:30 PM »
On Jack Brooks web site is an explanation of stripping. Go about 3/4 down the page to the title:  How do you stripe a Leman stock.  Here is a link.
http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/theclassroom.htm

oakridge

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 09:25:40 PM »
False graining, or "faux grois", as seen in old houses, is a different process. I have a friend that's an expert, who learned it from his father. He's done restoration work on dozens of early houses locally, many on the National Register, as well as properties owned by the National Park Service. After a sealer of the appropriate color has dried, he applies a finish coat. When this coat is slightly tacky, he does the graining with metal "combs" of various sizes. I've watched him freehand a grain pattern while looking at a photo. Takes real talent and experience to make it look that realistic. I bet he could do a gunstock and you couldn't tell it from original.