Author Topic: Rehabilitating a 200-year-old Jaeger Rifle  (Read 3637 times)

oldfox

Rehabilitating a 200-year-old Jaeger Rifle
« on: March 04, 2014, 01:18:54 AM »
I found this a very interesting article.  I don't know if it had been posted before, but here's the  link for those that haven't seen it:
http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/bSmalser/jaegerRifle/jaegerRifle-01.asp

Offline GrampaJack

Re: Rehabilitating a 200-year-old Jaeger Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 03:52:53 AM »
Good read. Also some really cool tools on the web site. Thanks for the link. Jack

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 06:11:51 AM »
This may not be a popular opinion, but here goes:

Bringing it back to shooting condition is one thing, but stripping original finish and patina from the gun is another.  I'm not saying anything bad about his craftsmanship or skills, as I think he did an excellent job with repairs, but I think the rifle looked a lot better before he got to it.  Stabilizing a piece is fully warranted - repairing cracks so that they don't worsen, cleaning and oiling pieces to prevent further rust, etc.  Adding new pieces of wood can be accomplished with virtually no damage to the original finish, and surface rust can be cleaned without resorting to acids.  The very thing that makes an antique is that the finish is not clean and uniform - the patina is not all one color.  Now it has lost much of what made it a fine original antique. 

There's a fellow on Gunbroker who routinely lists antiques that he has "repaired and made shootable" - by wirebrushing the steel, polishing the brass, and stripping the old finish off.  It makes me sick to my stomach. 

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm going off half-cocked, but I tire of seeing antique guns at shows and online that have had every bit of "original" stripped from them. 

-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 04:11:44 PM »
I agree with Eric.

Frank

Offline louieparker

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 05:16:51 PM »
Eric said it well.  I know a fellow who collected Hawken rifles.. He had one that was black, but showed a nice curl in the worn areas. Wanting to see the stripe he took it to a restorer and had it stripped. To collectors who appreciates the black finish and aged look, this is destroying something that can never be replaced and it hurts us to even think about it.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 05:32:41 PM »
The example Louie gave goes to show it can happen to just about anything, but bad work shows up so often on lower priced guns.  European and English guns that don't command a super high price are good examples as are later American guns.  Makes me sick sometimes.  Then if you're in a position where you try to undo what damage has been done, you really feel the pain.  I sometimes cringe when I hear about certain people doing restoration work.  People with limited knowledge, skill or caring.  Sometimes it's well meaning people that just don't know any better.  Think about all the damage that has been done over the years...

SuperCracker

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 06:21:39 PM »
Most of my bird hunting gets done with an 1880s German Hammergun that was sound but totally nonfunctioning when I received it. All it needed was the accumulated gunk cleaned out of the lock mechanisms and triggers, a new wedge made and a hammer tightened up on the post. It's certainly of higher value now than if it had been left alone.

Right now I'm waiting on delivery of an Original Percussion Westley Richards SxS that looks to have had rough treatment in the past but still has lots of meat left on the barrels. It's super plain ( I think for a while they offered their equivalent of a hardware store shotgun), no engraving, AFAIK was not owned by anyone of note and has no particular collectablility or historical significance other than being the most basic, cheapest gun offered by an otherwise high end maker. I intend to make it back into a bird killer, just as it was intended to be. Being able to be used again certainly must be of of greater value than an old brown gun that happens to have a well known name on the lock plate.

I can certainly see the value in maintaining the originality of a rare, decorated example of a piece by a known or unknown maker. Its very existence contributes to the pool of knowledge in the subject both now and in the future. A "restoration" could destroy some yet undiscovered piece of information or simply diminish the value of that part of history. I also can't imagine "cleaning up" Andrew Jacksons Pistol, a rifle documented to have been at the Alamo, a Boutet flintlock double gun or Kaiser Wilhems boyhood rifle in any but the most extreme circumstances. But I don't think all guns automatically warrant such reverence just by virtue of being old. If there is nothing to be gained from leaving it alone but it could be brought back to life as an interesting shooter with lots of character then that can't be a worse option.

that's my feeling anyway, or at least my hamfisted attempt at putting my feelings into words.

(Edit)PS: I'm obviously not talking about a crappy restoration, bad work is bad work. Or work done with no attempt at all to be appropriate for the original time period. I also have a really nice Belgian shotgun that had been "restored" before I got it. It should be a MAGNIFICIENT gun, save for the very well done but totally inappropriate modern checkering profile left by the checkering being freshened. The birds don't seem to care though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:30:54 PM by SuperCracker »