General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Horns and attached staples

(1/4) > >>

G. Elsenbeck:
I have a question for all the hornmakers out there.  When a staple is attached to the horn in the neck area, is it supposed to be used as a direct attachment for the horn strap or rather used as a 'backstop' when a strap is affixed directly to the horn?  I would think attaching a strap directly to the staple would be in danger of coming loose as in catching the tip on something.  At least IMHO using the staple as a 'backstop' would at least prevent that.  From looking at some originals from photos I see different sizes of staples used from rectangular in shape to a smallish round style.  Any thoughts?

Randy Hedden:
Gary,

I don't believe the staple in the throat of a horn was meant for direct attachment of a strap, but I also don't believe it is because the staple might get pulled out if the tip caught on something. The staple in the throat is installed and then the legs of the staple are bent over inside the horn. Not much chance of being pulled out although it could become a little loose. For the staple to come out it would have to take a good portion of horn with it as it is in an area where the horn is thickest.

I think that the staple in the throat is installed in such a manner that when it is used to capture the strap it serves to orient the way the horn rides against the body. At least that is what I do with the throat staples.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

G. Elsenbeck:
Randy, I was under the impression that there's the school of thought to keep the metal (at least steel) from penetrating all the way through the horn when it comes to staples.  I know brass was also used on occasion for staples and I wouldn't think it to be a problem.  Then again, how in the world would one get at the staple ends to bend them over especially on double curve horns?
Gary

David Rase:
From all I have researched I am in agreement with Randy.  The staple penetrates the horn and is bent over.  It is also not used for carrying the horn, it only keeps the strap in place.
DMR

Jerry V Lape:
I too wonder how the staple is secured when there is a curved interior at the area the staple enters.  I have even thought maybe the staples go all the way through the horne and are turned on the outside opposite.  Please enlighten me as I would like to use one on the next horn I build. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version