Author Topic: Our Duty to the ALR Museum\Library  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Our Duty to the ALR Museum\Library
« on: March 07, 2014, 12:06:14 PM »
This GREAT resource is second to none on the internet.....or even in print! Not only is it here for our pleasurable studies, it opens a display to us all that would otherwise be closed to but a privileged few. I would first like to thank all of the anonymous owner\collectors for sharing with us these wonderful pieces of history! I cannot over-emphasize how much I personally have learned about the American Longrifle from these exhibits!  I would also like to thank all of the members of the museum committee for their time and hard work in sharing of their expertise, given to us freely.                                                                                                               I strongly feel that we, as students of the ALR have a duty to ourselves, to the museum committee, and  to the future students yet to come, TO SHARE WHAT WE KNOW!   New things are being discovered all the time and many so called facts that we have been continually passing along have been dis-proven and replaced with the latest findings. What I am asking from all is that when you see a rifle attributed to XXXXX and you know of a very similar rifle that has been signed by YYYYY. Your sharing of this information with the committee will greatly enhance and improve the knowledge base of our library!    I will give an example here: In the library there is a cherry stocked rifle attributed to Peter Angstadt.    http://americanlongrifles.org/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=2&pid=7#top_display_media      Two years ago I ran across a longrifle for sale with the exact same architecture and patchbox.  About the only differences between the two were that the for sale piece was stocked in maple and the PB was engraved.  It was signed by Jacob Georg.                        It is things like this that are our duty to report in order to keep our great resource on the cusp and will make what is already the BEST even BETTER!         All is appreciated!     Joel
Joel Hall

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: Our Duty to the ALR Museum\Library
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »
Thank you.
The Museum Committee