Author Topic: Barrel Browning Question  (Read 3754 times)

Okefinokee Outlaw

Barrel Browning Question
« on: March 08, 2014, 05:58:29 AM »
When browning the barrel, should I remove the breech plug and brown that separately, or leave it on and brown both together?

Offline Habu

Re: Barrel Browning Question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:05:42 AM »
Brown them together.  The "seam" between the tang and barrel will disappear.  If it is a two-piece patent breech, leave the plug in the barrel, but separate the tang piece from the barrel/tang (easier that way).

Okefinokee Outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 06:21:41 AM »
I was hoping that was the case.  Also, the hole for the tang bolt is convenient for hanging.

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 06:39:09 PM »
just a heads up when browning both togeather, get the oil off the threads of the breechplug. if not it will make its way
out and mess up the browning at the seam
this I know
paul

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 06:56:09 AM »
I recently started soaking the breech end in lacquer thinner for about five minutes before browning. That eliminates the problem of any possible lubricant seepage at the joint.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

DaveP (UK)

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 02:29:02 AM »
That's a useful thing to know - but after the browning process is completed would you need to take the plug out and re-grease the threads so as to be able to pull the plug at a later date?

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 03:08:59 AM »
That's a useful thing to know - but after the browning process is completed would you need to take the plug out and re-grease the threads so as to be able to pull the plug at a later date?

I use Ed's Red, that is basically a mixture of automatic transmission fluid, and kerosene. Exceptional penetrating oil. A few drops down the bore, and some on the outer end, and it will definitely lube the threads. It's a better deep penetrating fluid than Kroil. If you have a stuck plug on an old rifle, or anything else, soak it in this stuff for a few days, and it will work. The formula is online, and has been my go-to gun oil for years. Between the cost, and effectiveness, it is hard to beat.   
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

DaveP (UK)

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 07:22:14 PM »
Thanks - I must admit I've been influenced by the current idea appears to be to use choke tube lube or similar on breech plugs for long term convenience, but even I have heard of Ed's Red  ;D I suppose you could apply that as a precaution, after finishing and before shooting.
Didn't want to find out I might have to dismantle a freshly finished breech!