Author Topic: Looking for a Target  (Read 7628 times)

frontier gander

Looking for a Target
« on: March 09, 2014, 07:59:36 AM »
Guys, I was checking out the Santa fe trail rendezvous on facebook and there was a picture from what they call the Mike Fink shoot and the target is just a simple printed out sheet with a mountain mans head and a cup sitting on top of it. Any clue where I may find this target? It looks professionally done and looks like a great target to fine tune your off hand shooting on.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:16:46 PM by frontier gander »

necchi

Re: Looking for a Target
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 10:11:47 AM »
If you really want to tune your off hand shooting,
Put a 1" black dot in the middle of an 8 1/2x11 sheet.
Then put it at 50, 75 and 100yrds.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:13:43 AM by necchi »

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 04:15:15 PM »
I may have one somewhere, let me look around. Send me your address and if I find it I'll send it to you.

Centershot

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 04:58:45 PM »
a harder target is drawing the one inch small dot offcenter on the 8.5 x 11 inch paper...

K
Galations 2:20

cahil_2

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »
The White River Muzzleloaders in Rothbury, MI made Mike Fink target for their woods walk.  They used a silouette of a head and hung a steel cutout of a cup which they suspended just above the silouette.  It is a fun target to shoot.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 05:55:46 PM »
Seems like you could use a standard pistol silhouette target with a paper cutout for the cup.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 06:55:32 PM »
Gander,
We shoot that target at our club but it's been so long since we boughttargets I don't remember where we got it. Try The NMLRA site, they list targets. If you don't find it let me know and I will get a couple of copies made and send them to you. You can re-copy them as much as you want.
Mark
Mark

necchi

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »
a harder target is drawing the one inch small dot offcenter on the 8.5 x 11 inch paper...

K
True,
At least for me the whole idea is about dumping those rings of the bullseye and forcing myself to focus all my attention on a small designated spot, the smaller the better.
The olde adage of "Aim Small-Miss Small" has merit.
There is no bullseye on game for hunting, there is nothing on a string or the edge of a card, or the flame of a candle.

By all means, "bench" a gun to develop and prove the load, but that's just the tool. Accurate off hand shooting is all about training the shooter not the gun.
If there are "flyers" or pulled shot's when benched,, then there is a lot of work a shooter needs to do
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:23:28 PM by necchi »

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 04:39:00 AM »
FG,  Here is a Mike Fink Target I designed back in 2005 as Founder #8 of the TMA, for the postal matches.

Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

frontier gander

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 09:03:17 AM »
haha! Thats great! Thanks a bunch

Ron T.

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »
I put a 1", round, bright orange target paster in the middle of a 11" white paper plate.  It makes a great "target/bullseye" at 25 yards with the white paper plate making considerable contrast with the dark iron sights on my older CVA Hawken.

At 50 yards, I use a larger, 2-inch or even a 3-inch bright orange target paster on the paper plate.  It is large enough that it can easily be seen using iron sights @ 50 yards.

You can easily mark your load and the range on the open area of the paper plate to keep as a record of the loads.

It "works" for me...  ;D

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Offline Candle Snuffer

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 03:02:51 PM »
haha! Thats great! Thanks a bunch

You're welcome.  We use this target off and on at our club shoots.  Might pull it out for our April 6th match since we haven't shot it in awhile.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
I sent you some photos of some targets that we used at our statehood shoot in Chillicothe a couple of weeks ago.

frontier gander

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 12:57:31 AM »
Pretty fun! Showed me that I will need to adjust my trigger and thin the front blade down as the rear sight is very narrow while the front is thick.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:58:24 AM by frontier gander »

Offline Candle Snuffer

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 08:38:51 PM »
I've never shot it with the pistol before, but now you got me thinking.  Usually we just shot it 25 yards offhand with our rifle.  Pistol would be interesting! :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 02:31:29 PM »
FG
I have one too,email me with your address.
Nit Wit

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 07:56:47 PM »
I have 2 targets for you, they are ready to go out from Maine tomorrow. I think Dennis should have a dedicated place for target swapping. If you get one, send back a couple from your neck of the woods.
Nit Wit

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »
I wonder what would happen if someone were to put a tin cup full of liquid on a watermelon and shot it? Seems to me the hydraulic shock would at least dent it. Might be worth 5 bucks just to try this.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

frontier gander

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »
sounds like fun! I will have to try that some time as well.