General discussion > Gun Building

Lock Bolster/Rear of Pan Question

(1/2) > >>

James Rogers:
I just got in this lock. It has a little chunk out of the bolster where the rear of the pan butts to the barrel side. I have included some pictures and would like advice as to what I need to do about this, if anything. Can I file down the back of the pan, keeping with the profile of the pan to eliminate the area or do I need to have it replaced? Thanks, James

Robby:
If you have good, complete contact with the barrel it wont hurt anything. If it were mine I would deepen the pan and eliminate it altogether, I like to polish the pan mirror bright.

bob in the woods:
Deepen it. You will eliminate the flaw, and you will probably like the performance as well.
I deepen and broaden the pan on almost all the Silers I use.

northmn:
I like the suggestion of deepening it about as well as any.  I polished and altered a Siler pan for a smoothbore.  The biggest problem you will get is a poor contact between barrel and lock as that permits leakage into the mechanism which would not occur here.    Another alternative if you wanted would be to fill it in with a tin solder and fit it.  You might try tinning the whole inside of the pan with braze such that you have a "brass" lined pan which has been done.  Some of the higher temp Silver solders would likely work also.  If you did nothing, that wouls also work well.

DP

don getz:
It's not a siler.  Looks like the pan of a Late Ketland lock, but not sure.  If you're worried about it, you could grind most of
it away by deepending the pan, using a dremel tool, or you could also fill the void with solder......or you could do nothing,
won't hurt anything........Don

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version