Author Topic: Percussion Pistol ID  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Steve Collward

Percussion Pistol ID
« on: April 09, 2014, 04:10:32 AM »
Was wondering if anyone may have some thoughts of origin of this percussion pistol.
Has a 10" octagon barrel, apprx. .44 cal., with fixed front and rear sights.  Overall length is 15 1/2". Brass butt cap and pewter nose cap.  There are no markings (name, initials, or proof marks) on the lock or barrel.  Very simple, light engraving on the hammer and side plate.  It's a bit plain, but well made.  Any ideas are appreciated.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Percussion Pistol ID
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:26:38 AM »
Nice little Kentucky pistol; thank you for posting it here. Condition is really great. Just a wild guesss but would suppose that it is a southern made gun.
Just has that look to it. If you have any photos of the muzzle please post them. Would like to see what is going up on the front end.
Dick

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 03:53:05 PM »
Attached are two photos of the muzzle.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 04:00:35 PM »
Looks to be made from recycled rifle parts. the barrel appears to have been turned at the muzzle for a starter and the guard looks like a cut off rifle guard.  I would be interested in the rifling twist especially if its a gain.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 04:02:08 PM »
Looking at how the TG is attached at the front it could be a TG from a N Hawk Swivel.
Just guessing....
Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 04:03:20 PM »
Could be 1840 could be 1920 hard to tell at this point.
Dan

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 04:39:22 PM »
I'm pretty certain the tail of the trigger guard had been cut off.  I know the photo of the muzzle is dark, but it has not been turned for a false muzzle.  It was shown to several dealers at the Baltimore Gun Show.  They all felt it was probably ca. 1840's.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 06:11:41 PM »
This may not help too much Steve but I have seen the same side plate which I call a "propeller" form used on rifle's from Ohio and Indiana. A very cool pistol!
Joel Hall

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 07:09:48 PM »
Something about that pistol says "shoot me." I like it a lot. I can't help you with its origin but congrats on a fine looking firearm. Interesting treatment for the ram rod thimble attachment.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 08:39:01 PM »
A very nice treatment at the muzzle. Thank you for posting the photos, Steve. No flash of insight has hit me so I'll just have to guess along with everyone else where, or who made it.
Dick

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 01:03:53 AM »
Thanks to all of you that have responded thus far.  All of your comments and thoughts are helpful and appreciated. As with all of the unmarked guns we come across, it's just too bad the maker did not put his name or at least where it was made on the gun.
  The photo showing the full view of the pistol with its 10" barrel and fairly short grip, gives it an appearance of perhaps being front heavy. I must say, however, that it is balanced very nicely.
  As I said in my initial post, it is a fairly plain and simple gun, but whoever made it, and whenever it was made,  the builder knew what they were doing. The stock is shaped and finished well and he wood/metal fit is very tight and sound.  I do appreciate the time that was spent in-letting the side plate. 
  Thanks again for all of your input.