Author Topic: Rice's Reading Profile Barrel  (Read 4852 times)

jamesthomas

Rice's Reading Profile Barrel
« on: March 12, 2014, 05:30:30 PM »
 Well people, I'm putting the word out to drum up some interest about this Profile. I have a .50 caliber "C" weight and it feels like it will balance wonderfully, But Jason says he doesn't get much call for it, so all you gun builders need to get together and order some, because I would like to get a .40 cal. "B" weight and he needs at least 10 orders or so to change over and make some.. So how many of you folks have one and how do you like it? Just getting some interest up because it is based on a actual profile from the Reading Wormmstorf school.  It kinda amazes me that it isn't popular with the HC/PC people. So spread the word Paw-Paw needs a .40 cal.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Rice's Reading Profile Barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
Yes, it's a VERY nice barrel profile.  It's copied from the Reading rifle Earl Lanning had, so it's completely historically correct as well.  So much for those who say heavily tapered and flared barrels are modern ideas.  This barrel is one of my favorites.  Although a bit shorter, it reminds me of the "woodsrunner" barrel.  As to the shape, I think it's the nicest Rice offers.  Mark Silver turned me on to it.

Sawatis

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:09:50 PM »
what are the specs on this barrel? length, muzzle and breach size, etc?
John

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:14:39 PM »
Here's all of Rice's specs including the Reading barrel which is about 2/3 of the way down

http://www.ricebarrels.com/chart.html
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Sawatis

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 11:06:42 PM »
Thanks Chuck

jamesthomas

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 11:24:39 PM »
 Jason had a couple for sale on here and I bought one, this barrel is very nice, It surprised me that Jason said he doesn't sell very many.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:00:09 AM »
This profile is the same as many early barrels, including woodsrunner. I took the dimentions from woodsrunner and gave them to Ed Rayl, and it has become one of his standards now. The breech taper allows for a nice flare to the wrist of the gun, but then tapers to a smaller mid area, and allows for a well balanced finished weapon. The muzzle dim. allows for the rear sight to be placed well up the barrel, and easier for those of us with older eyes. This is my favorite barrel profile, whether in it's original size, or scaled down for a 1 1/16 breech.
  Dan
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

jamesthomas

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 04:06:59 AM »
This profile is the same as many early barrels, including woodsrunner. I took the dimentions from woodsrunner and gave them to Ed Rayl, and it has become one of his standards now. The breech taper allows for a nice flare to the wrist of the gun, but then tapers to a smaller mid area, and allows for a well balanced finished weapon. The muzzle dim. allows for the rear sight to be placed well up the barrel, and easier for those of us with older eyes. This is my favorite barrel profile, whether in it's original size, or scaled down for a 1 1/16 breech.
  Dan

So where would I find a list of Ed's rifles? Profiles? ("A", "B" , "C" ,etc.)  lengths, 36", 42",( 40 15/16ths, Reading Profile) weights and calibers? how much are they?. Can't find anything on the web.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 02:45:37 PM »
Not to cut in on Jason's business, but Ed Rayl doesn't have a website.  You can call him at his shop Monday thru Friday from 9 AM till 3 PM and from 6 PM till 8 PM.  His swamped barrels up to 48 inches are $265, if I have the latest price list.  You can tell him what you want and he will build it, but I believe he is still a year out.  Got my last barrel in February and I ordered it last February.  I just always try to order 1 or 2 a year and then know that I will get them next year.  I have several rifles of my own that have Ed's barrels on them and they all shoot great. Oh yes, phone for Ed is 304-364-8269.

jamesthomas

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 03:57:06 PM »
 Thank you. I'll give it a think about.