Author Topic: Counter sink problems  (Read 5924 times)

Ric27

Counter sink problems
« on: March 15, 2014, 04:37:06 AM »
I know this is lame but I have always had problems getting a nice smooth counter sink on the tang. generally all wavy. This is doing them with a hand held drill. Is it just a something I MUST use the drill press for?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Counter sink problems
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 05:05:10 AM »
How slow are you running the counter sink?
Psalms 144

Thom

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 06:00:55 AM »
I've had the same problem with countersinks chattering. No matter hand driven or drill press. Best solution I have found is to use two counter sinks, one four flute and one six. Follow one with the other and it takes out the chatter.

Tom

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 06:13:53 AM »
The best looking counter sinks I get are at work with a single edge cutter, in a drill press or mill running between 70-80 rpm.
Psalms 144

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 06:18:53 AM »
Look at the 'anti-vibration' countersinks here: http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#countersinks/=r3jgwg

Any tool of this sort must be run slowly. If the stock/workpiece is allowed to vibrate, this allows the countersink to set up a chatter.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 06:29:37 AM »
from an old Popular Mechanics shop notes magazine...

put a piece if stiff card stock or paper underneath the cutter. As you start cutting, the teeth work their way through the
paper and 'smoothly" cut the countersink!  also works to clear up a chattered start !

I can vouch for this, it really works... or at least it does for me???

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 06:52:05 AM »
I'm with you Metalshaper.  I put a cleaning patch folder over between the metal and the countersink, and it refuses to chatter.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »
Allow me to "third" what Metalshaper suggested as a tip.  I picked up the tip from an experienced machinist three decades ago.

We used a 12 flute carbide reamer that was custom ordered from Severance  to hand chamfer the bores on precision rifles and pistols.  Even being carbide and with 12 precision flute cutters, it still cuts a little smoother with a piece of paper between the cutters and the barrel.  I normally "oiled' the paper and found that worked best.

Gus

chubby

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 12:08:27 PM »
A single edge is better, the body of the cutter rides in the hole solid as pressure is applied while forcing the cut, different speeds for every metal.  Chubby :)

kaintuck

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »
Hand held drill use a multi fluted countersink with the paper trick.....then IF you want really smooth, put the screw in the hole, chuck up from behind in the drill, aply some valve grinding compound to the screw.....and pull the screw into the hole and speed up the drill......will bed itself in just a jiffy!

ken

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 03:46:17 PM »
I have had the same problem. I do not have a milling machine or all these  specailty l tools . I use a counter sink then dress it up with one of those cheap stone sets you can put in your drill . Only takes a moment and you are done chatter is all cleaned up. No need to spend a lot

DaveP (UK)

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 07:06:52 PM »
If you have a technique that works for you - that's great! But I found the one hole anti vibration type to be a life changer. Ferrous, non ferrous or wood. Use in a hand drill, no special speed, no skill requires... Ask me why I love mine!

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 09:05:26 PM »
In my experience, you can forget about countersink chatter with Weldon style countersinks. They are available in various angles and with or without a pilot.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:18:52 AM by Randall Steffy »

Ric27

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 02:42:30 AM »
Great bunch of posts. Thanks so much everyone!!
R

d-a

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 04:42:58 AM »
In my experience, you can forget about countersink chatter with Weldon style countersinks. They are available in various angles and with or without an arbor.

Those are what I use. A machinist friend turned me on to those some years back.

d-a

gard72977

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 06:37:34 AM »
If you are doing the work by had you will need a 2 edge cutter. Try a center drill. Without a ridged spindle a single edge will chatter. A Noga counter sink  deburring tool works great by hand but is a little more expensive