Author Topic: stocks?  (Read 3963 times)

mlbrant

stocks?
« on: March 16, 2014, 07:23:08 AM »
I want to copy  an early stock from a pic in a book I have. Anyone know who can do this for me?

Offline rsells

Re: stocks?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:58:48 AM »
I make an overhead of the photo or scan it into a computer if it is a good side profile.  I then project it on a wall and move the projector closer or further from the wall until the full length photo matches a known measurement on the rifle.  I use butt height, trigger pull length, barrel length, etc.  If there are no known measurements I usually use a trigger pull length of 13 1/2.  I tape poster board to the wall and trace the profile marking the breech, trigger. etc.  It may look grainey depending upon the quality of the photo, but I can get a rough profile to use to build the rifle.  It works for me, but I am sure other folks have a better way.
                                                             Roger Sells

Offline Captchee

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 02:49:17 PM »
 if you work the numbers so as to scale the photo up , most  print shops that do  copies of home plans can do it for you .  the bigger the photo the better   the better job you will get .  IMO it works better with pistols .

what they will ask for is a % if enlargement    to get that you will have to work from a known measurement  just as MLBrant said .
 bad part about is they will normally charge you  for a  paper width of 28-36 inchs by the length  of your enlargement .

a better option IMO is to  get them to sell you a nice piece of paper  in the length you need . then using a single  known measurement , use a proportioning wheel and 360 deg map  clear  map protractor to  enlarge and draw out the rifle . That way you don’t  end up with as much distortion from the process of taking the photo , scanning it  and then printing it .

galamb

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 04:56:31 PM »
I read the question a little different.

Are you looking for how to make the pattern (ie. blow up the pic) so YOU can use it as a stock pattern to make the stock yourself, OR

were you asking if there is a builder/shop out there that will pre-carve a custom stock for you based on a photo that you have????

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »
It might be worth looking into the stock patterns that a stock carver has available to them. Dave Keck, for example, has many of Fred Miller's stock patterns, and not all of what he offers is on line. Keck at http://knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/stocks.html

There are other stock carvers such as Tiger Hunt, and Dunlap Wood Products.

It's worth a phone call.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »
I usually scale my photos up or down in photoshop. You can pretty much determine the scale even it it's not given. Barrel length and lock size are the easiest to gain accurate dimensions from. Then print pieces of the rifle and overlap parts to align things right. Tape all the parts together and you get a full size image. Works great for me.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 12:04:51 AM »
I want to copy  an early stock from a pic in a book I have. Anyone know who can do this for me?

If what you want is a full size photo I can make you one and email it back to you much easier than I can describe it to you. What I need is for you to email me a full side view photo of the rifle you want done. It needs to be as close to perfect side view (not on an angle etc) as you can find. If its not 90 degrees to the camera lens it will not make a good template. Should be as many pixels as possible to avoid being blurry when blown up to full size. I would also need to know that length of pull you will be using. I will then use a photo editor to blow the photo up to your length of pull with the rest of the rifle dimensions in direct relationship to the length of pull.

You can either scan the book photo or use a decent camera to make a full size photo of the photo in the book.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

ddoyle

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 04:22:06 AM »

If your comp screen is larger in width then your desired LOP simply zoom in on the photo until the pic matches your LOP as measured on the screen with a tape measure.

Tape paper to the screen and trace.   upper and lower forestock can be done with a straight edge.

with my mac command-shift -4 allows me to zoom.