Author Topic: Denim for patching?  (Read 4555 times)

dlbarr

Denim for patching?
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »
Anybody ever use denim? I have an abundance of worn out jeans and wonder if this is a good source.

I'm referring to primarily rifle shooting rather than smooth bores.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Re: Denim for patching?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:28:02 PM »
I have used denim for years in a 45 caliber rifle I bought back in 1974.
iloco

dlbarr

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:38:14 PM »
My guess is you have to use a significantly smaller RB as denim is usually thicker than traditional cotton patching...?

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:44:19 PM »
My guess is you have to use a significantly smaller RB as denim is usually thicker than traditional cotton patching...?

Guess it would depend on how wore out the jeans are.  A lot of wash cycles would thin down the denim a lot.  New denim I have not used.
iloco

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:13:43 PM »
Dave - od jeans are just great for patches- note that jeans come in many different thicknesses - from 6 ounce at about .008" to 12 ounce which is from .025" to .035" ( BOTH COMPRESSED measurements) depending on the tool used to measure it - ie: different calipers or mic's.

We mostly use store-bought denim in the 10 ounce range, which usually runs between .021" to .023" depending on the tool used for measuring. I use my mid calipers as being 'true' - actually an average, noting it here as either .022" or .0225".

With that patch, we use balls that are only .005" SMALLER than the bore size.  In my .69 with it's .012" rifling depth, I use a .684" ball and the 12 ounce denim.  In the case of my .32, I use a .320" ball in it's .320" bore, 10 ounce denim patch and it has ONLY .008" rifling - very narrow grooves and VERY wide lands- exactly the opposite scenario one might hope to expect.  It shoots well with that combination - couldn't do any differently - it's almost a bench-rest or chunk-gun loading scenario. The .69 is also exceptionally accurate as well, as one might expect from the very tight fit of patch and ball.

So ----jeans??   My suggestion is to use only the lower frontal leg area and back of the leg above the knee, to avoid area of worn genes. The front of the thighs and calf areas are usually worn and will vary in thickness as well as in strength.

I've been using denim (I buy it by the meter or yard) since 1972 = 42 years - works for me and the rest of us, Taylor & LB, too.

Beware - "relaxed" and/or "senior's fit" genes are usually stretchy material that is NOT cotton. Use only 100% cotton.  the burn test (of a few fibres) is the best way of testing.(outside the store) I have them snip off a small piece, take it outside and light it. If there is no oily smoke, nor stink of plastic and only dust left of the burnt cloth, it's cotton. If the residue it balled up material it has synthetic fibers and is generally not useable.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

dlbarr

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 11:55:58 PM »
Thanks Daryl. I presume these patch/ball combinations are tight enough that they require a fair amount of force to get started down the bore? Not sure what my barrel groove/land dimensions are but have all GM barrels in .54, .50 & .40.

dagner

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 09:55:20 AM »
  demin is great  -just be real carful and make sure it is all cotton.a buddy of mine got some and used it at a match that was part polyester.he had to pull breech plug and steel wool the $#@* out forever.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 02:01:23 PM »
I just bought some 12 oz. denim from Joanns Fabrics, my mic says its around 22+ thick. soft not stiff  ;D

rhbrink

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 02:15:59 PM »
I bought some 10 oz. denim from Hancock fabrics and it is soft too this measures about .020. I also notice that it is not as tough as duck canvas. I shoot a .451 ball in a 45 cal Bill Large barrel and with the denim on the recovered patches where the ball is tight against the lands that the denim is starting to separate. It is holding together but you can see the threads in the material beginning to come apart it shoots OK and I don't see this in the duck canvas. This is a tight loading combination for target shooting so maybe a hunting load where it isn't loaded so tightly would be OK? Just my experience.

RB

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 05:37:32 PM »
 Take your measuring equipment to the local thrift store, and check out their selection of linen napkins. linen is the preferred patching material of the old timers. If they have a linen tablecloth with a hole, or red wine stain, so much the better. These items rarely have a wear problem often seen in old jeans. Linen doesn't degrade over time like cotton does either.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 11:47:23 PM »
I've tried denim from old jeans and it required a mallet to start the prb.  When in the bore, it had to be hammered to seat.  This is much too tight for me even to consider again.  Strange since I have no trouble (it's snug, however) using ticking that measures .035" (.024" compressed).
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 05:58:59 PM »
Pure cotton Jeans are made from denim ranging from about .008" to about .035". Those are average heavily 'compressed' measurements using dial calipers. My mic runs that same material at .025" due to the tiny round anvils.  I have not seen any thicker than this - I am not saying there is jean material that is thicker, just that I haven't seen it.

Depending on the thickness of jeans you have, loading will be either more or less difficult.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V