Author Topic: Abraham Schweitzer  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Abraham Schweitzer
« on: March 18, 2014, 01:51:24 PM »
I have been currently doing research on A Schweitzer and have found very little about his life. I know he did contract work for the Govt. in 1794 and moved from Lancaster to Chambersburg around 1804. There he changed his style of building to conform to what we would today call the "Chambersburg School" or "Franklin County School".  All of my reference material shows several pictures of his rifles in both locations but virtually nothing about the man as to his birth\death dates etc. I would be very interested in any kind of information about this fine gunsmith.  Much appreciated.......Joel ;D
Joel Hall

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Abraham Schweitzer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:34:50 PM »
On ancestry.com it says he was born 1769 died 1831. Bowers "Gunsmiths of Penn-MAR-VA 1790-1840"
has some info on him. Page 1-8. I can send you some of that if you want. Whats your email?

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:43:58 PM »
Many thanks Avlrc! My E-mail address is: joelhall@rocketmail.com    I look forward to your PM.  I did just acquire the new book on Lancaster gunsmiths that mentions Schweitzer married the daughter of Jacob Fordney. The father of Melchoir. Which made him Melchoir Fordney's brother in law.   
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:02:30 PM »
I guess that is a round a bout way of saying he married Melchoir's sister! :D
Joel Hall

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 11:14:05 PM »
Round a bout ways sometimes add a lot to the conversation,,,,,  :D

John
John Robbins

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 01:50:36 AM »
Joel,
I believe he was Melchior Fordneys Master. I thought I read somewhere that he was also his uncle or brother in law, and that Fordney also ran away from him during his apprenticeship. I am going off of memory and it doesn't serve very well anymore.
Buck

eddillon

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 02:12:48 AM »
I have been currently doing research on A Schweitzer and have found very little about his life. I know he did contract work for the Govt. in 1794 and moved from Lancaster to Chambersburg around 1804. There he changed his style of building to conform to what we would today call the "Chambersburg School" or "Franklin County School".  All of my reference material shows several pictures of his rifles in both locations but virtually nothing about the man as to his birth\death dates etc. I would be very interested in any kind of information about this fine gunsmith.  Much appreciated.......Joel ;D

Maj. Joel,
Could you list some of your reference material.  I always like pictures.  old proverb a one picture vs. lots of words.
I don't need th photos just the book title.  I have a pretty complete library.
Thanks,
Maj. Ed 

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 02:38:33 AM »
Be glad to Maj Ed.  In the book; "The Lancaster Long Rifle At The Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum" by Patrick Hornberger & John Kolar on pages 50-51.  "Kentucky Rifles & Pistols 1750-1850" from the KRA pages 43 & 77. "The Kentucky Rifle A True American Heritage In Picture" from the KRA, page 73. "Kentucky Rifle Patchboxes & Barrel Marks" (Red Patchbox book) by Roy F. Chandler, pages 334,335,336,337. 
Joel Hall

eddillon

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 03:03:15 AM »
Thanks, Major Joel.  Got'em.  Headed for my bookshelves now.
Major Ed   ;D

jlynn

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 04:57:45 AM »
SIr-Kindig has several schweitzers in his book.  #227 is myfavorite of all longrifles.  Have built 4 using Pecatonicas non inlet stock. Am so glad that he is getting some mention.  When he moved, his style changed muchly. He does not seem to be rated as a top builder from his lack of mention, but to eac his own.  thanks again  jwl

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 12:10:47 PM »
Thank you jwl for the heads up on Kindigs book. I totally missed that one and it seems to include a great deal of information on Schweitzer. I can sure see what you like about #227! A beautiful rifle it is!
Joel Hall