Author Topic: William Gurd, Cooksville Ontario 1835  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
William Gurd, Cooksville Ontario 1835
« on: March 19, 2014, 11:02:33 PM »
Posting for Don Blyth

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:02:49 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: William Gurd, Cooksville Ontario 1835
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:38:02 PM »
It is interesting to see a Canadian rifle, which at first glance I would have thought was a New England gun with its patchbox style, anchor shaped lock bolt washer, and single brass trigger. There is so little known about "Kentucky rifles" from north of the border, that we really don't "know one when we see one." I've seen several good quality longrifles over the years that appeared most likely to have come from New England, but couldn't quite place them. Makes me wonder now if they might have been "north of the border" Kentuckies. It would be a great leap in knowledge if someone would re-do Goodling's old "Canadian Gunsmiths" with up-dated information and more pictures of better rifles made up there. Benjamin Mills of later Harrodsburg, Kentucky fame was a superior gunsmith who got his start, and perhaps his training, up in Ontario, Canada.   Shelby Gallien

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: William Gurd, Cooksville Ontario 1835
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 01:41:46 AM »
My first impression was Upper Susq school somewhere, but it doesn't quite fit. What a nice rifle with PA type crafting, ornamentation, good wood, silver and a fine patchbox. Wonder if the bullder didn't apprentice down here for a period of time? Thanks to the owner for showing it here. I have wondered what a good Canadian gun would look like.
Dick