Author Topic: Patching in Smoothbores  (Read 13486 times)

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Re: Patching in Smoothbores
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 09:55:18 PM »
  Iloco,
    I might check the bore size of that Colerain. Lots are true 20gauges and that is .615.
   Jus sayin.

I checked the bore size and it is .615 on my colerain barrel.  A .600 ball is tight with a thin patch.
iloco

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 11:18:02 PM »
iloco - I'd be getting a .590" mould for that .615" bore and Jeff Tanner (UK) is the person I'd contact for that mould. I have one of his in .595" form my smoothie if I were you. The .595 loads OK in mine, but the starter puts it blelow the choke.  You might find it difficult to load with a .615" muzzled gun and no choke.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 01:01:15 AM »
  Iloco,
    I might check the bore size of that Colerain. Lots are true 20gauges and that is .615.
   Jus sayin.

I checked the bore size and it is .615 on my colerain barrel.  A .600 ball is tight with a thin patch.

Mine, too (.615").  Any patch with a .600" and especially with a .605 WW ball absolutely requires a thin patch and a mallet for a reload.  Maybe that's why bare ball shoots pretty well in my gun.  Daryl's suggestion is a good one.  I ordered a Tanner .590" mold and it will take the thicker patches I use in my rifles.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

ken

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 03:07:32 AM »
I checked my barrel It is a Mold and gun barrlel measures 620  and is 20 guaged I tried a heavier patch 15ths and seamed to get a bit better group tried heavier and the group opened up . Seems to create what I call barrel whip  ken

Vomitus

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »
   Iloco, see if you can round up some .590's and some .595's. 20 of each should do. Get some 25 and 30 thou denim and give it a try.Snug with a sloppy spit patch.Thicker patch with smaller balls,of course. I use a starter.You'll need one for good accuracy. If you look in archives, short starters,Daryl S has a couple pictures of what he uses. I've never had a smoothie shoot decent without a tight combination. I use 30thou with a .510ball in a .540 bore which gives me .015 compression around the ball.(I think my math is right?) I have to "start" it but loads fine with the guns tapered hickory rod. Looking forward to shooting it as soon as the snow goes. Not a good sign tonight as it looks like a blizzard out there now. Waiting....

Offline iloco

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
Where can I find some .590 round balls.   TOW doesn't have any listed.   No more than I get to shoot I would prefer to buy some already molded balls in .590.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 03:29:41 PM by iloco »
iloco

Vomitus

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 12:45:24 AM »
   Iloco, even try some .595's. My old 20g Colerain 44" barreled Fusil liked a .022 spitpatch with this ball. Dayum, I wish I'd hung on to that one! Sold it to a girl,sheesh!...she kicks ass with it!

Offline iloco

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 01:34:51 AM »
   Iloco, even try some .595's. My old 20g Colerain 44" barreled Fusil liked a .022 spitpatch with this ball. Dayum, I wish I'd hung on to that one! Sold it to a girl,sheesh!...she kicks ass with it!

I got some from a friend yesterday.  I hope to try them out this weekend.  I did order me a .590 mold.
iloco

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 05:38:43 PM »
This is a great post.  A lot of us who trek up here in the northeast....especially in winter...prefer smoothbores tailored for weight, sight picture and ease of loading or cleaning.  I used to go out every winter  by Ticonderoga, Lake George and Rogers Rock with Fred Gowan and Bob Bearor, and we eventually worked our way to our loads as follows;

We found a ball size  that fit snugly...not too tight... with the paper we used for our cartridges. I think I was at a .66 ball and copy paper.  My early Charleville ( 1976, four digit serial number) was not even close to the posted .69 cal.  Fred taught me to actually fold the ball into the cartridge at the  bottom of the copper tube, and then dip the end just past the ball  in a mixture of grease and the more solid cleaners.  I took to  one third beeswax, one third tallow and one third the first gunk like bore butter...the one you have to get out of the tube with a jack hammer.  I dunno what the name of the stuff was at that time.  Then we filled the tube with measured FFG and sealed her up normally. I could never bring myself to use scales, so I figured out the load, sliced the end of the deer bone measure, and never varied.

Anybody who has tried to load in the dead of winter can tell you that managing the gun is a chore in itself, but this combination made for easy loading.  We were into finding the French War Snowshoe battle sites up there, so the practicality of gear and its operation under constraints was a big topic.   No, we never tried to prove whether or not Rogers slid down the rock in 1758, but anybody who tells you he did needs to hike up there in the winter  and peer over the edge.  Anyway, I was very surprised to find the fowlers and muskets were easier to clean by the fire.

I can't speak for today, but twenty years ago in the woods around Lake George we had about ten or fifteen Rogers Rangers and Courier Du Bois fans on a canoe trip with a contest where we poked the suit symbol out of the center of an ace at thirty to fifty yards.  The tie breaking took longer than the match.  I used to take my Charleville and fowler up to about 75 yards with this type of load and got the old eight-of-ten-in-the-paper-plate thing regularly. I never had trouble cleaning.

Now being a Cowboy shooter who vowed never to sleep on the ground again, sometimes I wish I could get back out there for a day, freeze my buns off and touch off a round or two with my friends.

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid,

The Capgun Kid