Author Topic: Seeing double  (Read 18294 times)

Offline Kermit

Seeing double
« on: May 28, 2014, 05:44:09 PM »
If you haven't yet, you need to view Ian Pratt's pair of rifles in The Blog today!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline PPatch

Re: Seeing double
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »
I looked at them this morning - Sweet!

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 01:39:32 AM »
I really like the color and the architecture.  Typically well done by a fine craftsman.   :)  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 03:20:40 AM »
I don't know what it is about his work, but I haven't seen any project by him that I didn't think was
exceptionally artistic.  He seems to have a unique vision followed up with talented execution.
Some day I hope I can get him to build me a rifle and it will become a family treasure.  Problem is
the longer I wait, the more likely the demand for his work will get.  These twins are just killer.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Micah2

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 04:33:45 AM »
These guns are incredible.  I live one hour from deep river area nc and these twins spoke to me.  All I can do is date the ugly cousin.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 06:29:06 AM »
Problem is the longer I wait, the more likely the demand for his work will get.

Don't look now, but I understand the wait is about 5 years. I'm too old to count on seeing a date that far out.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 02:02:10 PM »
Great looking rifles--I really like the hand forged trigger guards---they are exceptional.  And whatever stain Ian used on these guns was perfect and the wood is super.  Great job all around.

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:52:39 AM »
I'm drinking the Koolaid!....Both made to be used.Bet those 2 friends are happy!

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 02:05:42 AM »
Those can't be Pratt guns, the finish is too new looking.   ;D  Fakes I say. ::)
David

Offline k gahagan

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 02:48:41 AM »
Beautiful guns, color, archecture, iron work stunning. Recognizable as Ians immediately.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 04:32:39 AM »
Very attractive pair.  No gingerbread to distract from the essentials.

Always like Ian's work,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Vomitus

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 06:32:05 AM »
Problem is the longer I wait, the more likely the demand for his work will get.

Don't look now, but I understand the wait is about 5 years. I'm too old to count on seeing a date that far out.

Ian?...Ian who?

Offline art riser

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 09:27:19 PM »
Look at Charlie Wallingford's March 24, 2011 posting on the Contemporary Makers site. He built me a close cousin to Ian's twins.

Centershot

Vomitus

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 12:44:18 AM »
art riser, oh,that Ian.He builds guns~! I thought he just raided Kibler's fridge!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:12:44 AM by Leatherbelly »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »
If you look closely at the picture of Ian, standing by his shop, you can see some steam coming up from the still.   There has to
be some reason for him to be able to pulll all those gun parts together.   Whatever, it sure does work.  I wish I could get a
finish like that on my barn guns...........Don

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 08:22:41 AM »
art riser, oh,that Ian.He builds guns~! I thought he just raided Kibler's fridge!

Back in 2009 When the food ran out, Jim had converted his fridge to some kind of a brass patina cabinet but he abandoned it after the power company shut off his electricity. Actually he used it as a deer trap for a while but found that using it resulted in too much bruised meat, so he took to jumping on their backs from high up in trees and knocking them over the head with a pistol blank.
 Life can be tough out on the edges of the gunmaking frontier. Last time I saw Jim was twelve years ago on his birthday. My family and I had walked seventy miles to his house to share some packages of oyster crackers with him that we had stolen together at Denny's. At the time he was working on a gun that was covered with fantastic, elaborate silver wire work, really one of the greatest guns I had ever seen -  but it had unfortunately suffered some water damage when his leaking roof finally let go. After our meal, the whole family pitched in to help him tear the vinyl seat covers out of his truck, and together we constructed a protective tent over his workbench to divert the water away from his work area. Later on when we were getting ready to leave, he insisted that we take one of his good pieces of cardboard with us so I might finish building the addition on our house. I was so choked up by this that I didn't initially notice his dogs killing and eating our youngest child under the workbench until it was almost too late. That was a rough walk home.  

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:24:01 AM by Ian Pratt »

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 03:25:41 PM »
It's really helpful for us to understand how you guys have suffered for your art.
Best regards,
Dale

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 05:08:10 AM »
 Thank you for your concern.
People need to know the truth. It ain't all rasps and roses like you see on American Pioneer Video. Still, I wouldn't trade it for anything....well, now that I think about it, some more oyster crackers would be nice...

Gotta go, library security just saw me in here through the window   keep the faith, brothers     Soylent Green is people 

Tony Clark

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »

Back in 2009 When the food ran out, Jim had converted his fridge to some kind of a brass patina cabinet but he abandoned it after the power company shut off his electricity. Actually he used it as a deer trap for a while but found that using it resulted in too much bruised meat, so he took to jumping on their backs from high up in trees and knocking them over the head with a pistol blank.
 Life can be tough out on the edges of the gunmaking frontier. Last time I saw Jim was twelve years ago on his birthday. My family and I had walked seventy miles to his house to share some packages of oyster crackers with him that we had stolen together at Denny's. At the time he was working on a gun that was covered with fantastic, elaborate silver wire work, really one of the greatest guns I had ever seen -  but it had unfortunately suffered some water damage when his leaking roof finally let go. After our meal, the whole family pitched in to help him tear the vinyl seat covers out of his truck, and together we constructed a protective tent over his workbench to divert the water away from his work area. Later on when we were getting ready to leave, he insisted that we take one of his good pieces of cardboard with us so I might finish building the addition on our house. I was so choked up by this that I didn't initially notice his dogs killing and eating our youngest child under the workbench until it was almost too late. That was a rough walk home.  

Thats quite a Story Ian....

Some people actually live in the woods though and don't understand the Monty Python type of Skit you describe or the humor in it at first... do you remember those days?

Make good guns...but don't denigrate people who live the rough and simple life yet could teach you a thing or two. The guns you make are a symbol of simpler times... that actually exist for some folks. Don't change that

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:52:30 PM by Tony Clark »

pbigham

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 12:53:13 AM »
 Always enjoy seeing your work. Your appreciation of the Rifle builders you emulate shows in the work you do. Your Humor is good medicine.