Author Topic: "Riddle" muzzleloader  (Read 7463 times)

Schirf

"Riddle" muzzleloader
« on: March 24, 2014, 08:31:56 PM »
I've come across a gun that I'm interesting in hearing this forum's opinion of based on pictures, and poor ones at that....

http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/PaulSchirf/embed/slideshow/Riddle

The seller says it's a "Riddle rifle" but I don't trust the seller to know the different between a smooth bore and a rifled one.  At this point I've not yet seen anything other than these pictures.  So, with only the pictures provided, if I had to throw a number at it, what should I feel comfortable with given the limited info that you've seen?  i.e. what is the minimum value of a piece like this?  $300?  $800?  $10?

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: "Riddle" muzzleloader
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
 I think the "Riddle" is how many different guns gave up parts to build this gun? And where did the 2X4 come from they used to make the stock? It looks like a blacksmith gun to me.

Hungry Horse

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:29:48 PM »
I would guess that the lock is marked Riddle.  Riddle was a lock maker.  This rifle was stocked by
someone with very limited abilities.  You probably won't get anyone to put a number on this rifle out of
respect to the owner.  If you have internet, look at auction results from Rock Island Auction and make your own assessment.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:22:14 PM »
Poor ol thing,the parts look interesting tho.Dave :(

realtorone

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 11:35:57 PM »
You're correct "Poor Thing"

George

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 01:26:22 AM »
You might say......"It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma".   As your question was based "only on the pictures provided"....If I was interested in it...which I am not.... but....if I was....for what my opinion is worth (less than the last number on your list).....  I might  take a chance on it right around that first number on your list.   ;)

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 08:34:13 PM »
Reminds me of the old Paris toy guns.

steveA

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 01:27:06 AM »
 " I think the "Riddle" is how many different guns gave up parts to build this gun? And where did the 2X4 come from they used to make the stock? It looks like a blacksmith gun to me.
Hungry Horse"

Why disparage blacksmiths that way?!? That hurt a bit. ;)
Steve A

Offline heelerau

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 02:39:57 AM »
 If the bore is good, might be worth salvaging and  restocking,  looks like something I might have made at the age of ten. May well have been some kids first attempt.  Parts value only.

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 03:33:31 AM »
Yeah, it don't look to Purdy, but if you never had one and this one was all you could afford, it aint so bad. Heck, we all started somewhere. No reason to make fun of it. You might even find a name on the recycled  barrel from some great maker. That would be worth something, not counting the lock, trigger guard etc....
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 03:42:05 AM by Avlrc »

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 04:48:26 AM »
Way back in 1980's,I gave my late father in law a maple f/s blank with barl channel and rr grove inlet,and other parts to build a lr from,along with Shumways book on Recreating the Am L/R.With no more training or tools,he produced a similar looking gun,fully functional,over a long Weston,Wva winter.Twernt purdy,but it shot,and was a mountain Rifle.When he passed in 85,we got the gun and had Bob Walden restock it in  black walnut,and now it belongs to my daughter.After making 8 long rifles since 2010,I wish I could find that old stock,I am confident I could salvage it into a better shape,but,funny as this sounds,as I was writing this,I think I would rebarl and make it back to what Murph made.I have always had a sentimental spot.Thanks for allowing the ramble.Cold,snowy night here.Dave :)

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 06:17:04 PM »
I don't know anything about Indian restocks other than seeing a few pictures....but  that maybe what this is trying to be given the tacks. It seems that I remember seeing some photos in one of my reference books....but I can't remember which one?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:34:42 PM by vtbuck223 »

Offline rnb1969

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 11:16:21 PM »
On the22nd of this month at a sale in Reedsville Pa a rifle described as a Riddle rifle was sold. It was listed as Pa. longrifle Bedford County youth gun 30 cal engraved patch box marked Riddle 22 inch octagon barrel. It was very small and petite and made for a very small person. I looked at the gun but not real close. Fit and finish didn't look too bad as I remember but I was not interested in it so I didn't look real close. It sold for $1400.00. Somebody thought it was nice.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 12:01:29 AM »
That was one riddle not worth answering, IMO.  It certainly didn't float my boat.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.