Author Topic: carrying brass powder flask?  (Read 3759 times)

JB2

carrying brass powder flask?
« on: March 28, 2014, 04:46:43 PM »
Were these ever carried with the spout pointing down?  I have one from my revolver days, repro Remington style.  I originally had stitched up a leather cover for it and attached the strap so it hung with spout pointing down.  Don't remember my logic (that was a long time ago), either rain or hot primer shrapnel dropping down the spout.  Anyway, it's still serviceable and I'm thinking of using it for bird hunting with my perc. SxS, with a larger spout.  Have yet to try it out with that shotgun, and it may not even lend itself to the loading process for that gun.  Just thinking out loud I guess.

Thanks guys

Offline smokinbuck

Re: carrying brass powder flask?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 04:56:36 PM »
Jim,
Yes they were carried upside down, it made it easier to fill a measure without having to lift the flask. I have a fowler bag that uses the flap as a flask, either powder or shot, and has an English flask head on it. The weight keeps the flap shut as it would keep your flask pointed down. If your spout is functioning properly, weather and safety should not be a concern.
Mark

Mark

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »
 For shotgun shooting I much prefer a double shot snake combination rig, one for shot, one for powder. I use the Irish style heads with the removable measures, so I'm not loading straight from the powder container. Loading straight from a flask is pretty dangerous.

Hungry Horse

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 05:36:26 PM »
HH--you use an Irish head for powder? Never thought of that. How's that working?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 05:46:03 PM »
My mistake, my bag has an Irish head on it.
Mark
Mark

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 07:26:09 PM »
 I had to set the powder charge, for the 20 ga. on the adjustable pouring scoop, and then solder it tight so it doesn't adjust in the field. For my .28 gauge I soldered a plug in the bottom to reduce the volume of the measure.

Hungry Horse

ken

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 03:15:59 AM »
Yes they were carried down for ease of getting  powder out and for safety  no spark could hit the dust that seems to always be there   ken

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 08:10:32 PM »
With the spout up, it would collect rain water, not a good scenario - at all.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V