Author Topic: Minuteman patch lube?  (Read 4838 times)

frontier gander

Minuteman patch lube?
« on: March 18, 2014, 12:22:07 AM »
Anyone ever tried this before? I found it on ebay a few days ago and got it today. Very slick stuff that takes very little to treat a patch with. Consistency is a gel like light green liquid and after applying, your fingers also have that vasoline like feel to it without the thick stuff of course.

frontier gander

Re: Minuteman patch lube?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:41:47 PM »
Okay looks like no one tried it so I did today and I do not like it at all. Only shoots tight if you swab, other wise the "seasoning" is nasty thick fouling the lube creates in the bore.

ken

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 11:43:09 PM »
That makes me want to stick with bear grease, real slick and not that much fouling   ken

jamesthomas

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 08:54:13 PM »
Okay looks like no one tried it so I did today and I do not like it at all. Only shoots tight if you swab, other wise the "seasoning" is nasty thick fouling the lube creates in the bore.

That seasoning looks like good old fashion goop! Bleech! Whoever coined the term "seasoning" needs to be Tarred and Feathered then hung from a oak tree till he rotted off the rope. >:(

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 10:36:35 PM »
James e, I agree with you completely on this "seasoning" $#@*.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Vomitus

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »
   Pure neetsmeter* oil for hunting,winter windshield washer fluid with a small amount of neetsmeter* oil added. With both, it shoots real close to center. Not a lot of load altering.

*Gorden Lightmeter is metric for G. Lightfoot. Hey,we're metric in Canada.  :P Nothing standard in this silly little country! ;D ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 06:06:30 PM »
I think perhaps the 'seasoning' moniker developed due to the 'seasoning' advertizing for Bore Butter, that thickness building up/accuracy destroying lip balm lube of a bunch of years back.  The adjective "Seasoning' sounds good for a lube as it suggests that all lubing problems will be eliminated if the bore is seasoned first with this magic 'stuff'.  

People know black powder fouls - some don't know that a tight load eliminates the fouling buildup and/or believe other people who say  tight loads are difficult to load. People who are seeking the 'easy' way, are drawn to these advertizing lies.  That is all it is - advertizing.

56% to 57% of the black powder charge results in solid waste after it's burned.  Some of that 56% to 57% solid waste fouling is deposited on the walls of the bore, some/most, is blasted out the muzzle.  IF you load a decently thick wet patch, whether it's wet with LB's metric Neestfoot oil,  Track's mink oil, spit, WinterWinshiedWasherFluid+NeetsFootOil or whatever -  the fouling that was left in the bore from the previous shot is EASILY pushed down the bore as the next patched ball is loaded.  There are no mallets needed, there are no hammers needed - there are not steel rods needed.  There is NO buildup - and NO need for seasoning.

If indeed you follow these easy suggestions and still have trouble, perhaps you need to have your barrel 'freshed' or your gun re-barreled as it MUST be badly pitted.   

My daughter & Darrel's Kim, who are VERY strong and my wife who isn't very strong, load and shoot the same combinations we do - & WE are OLD men.

Pure lead balls
Pure cotton patching

Works
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 06:19:29 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 01:24:30 AM »
I always felt  that seasoning was for frying pans, not gun barrels. Never bought into that .
With the right size ball and patch combo, fouling has never been a problem for me. Bear oil, Neet's foot oil [ pure stuff]
WWF , or even Tack of the Wolf's mink oil all work just fine for me.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 06:55:41 PM »
Exactly, Bob.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline draken

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 10:57:53 PM »
This may sound crazy, but somewhere back the 1980's I began using rancid, day or two old coffee for cleaning my rifle; it being the most readily available liquid for that purpose in a primitive camp. I founf that after about 6 or 8 cleanings with the stuff fouling became less of a concern, and my barrel swabbed out cleaner and faster after firing 25-30 shots.  I don't remember when or whyI stopped using it and I never did any comparison testing, so maybe it was all just a coincidence. 

Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

sloe bear

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 05:36:37 PM »
I too have used coffee but my rifle preferred it hot, did a nice job of cleaning and it was always on the fire,share and share alike.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 01:38:16 AM »
I too have used coffee but my rifle preferred it hot, did a nice job of cleaning and it was always on the fire,share and share alike.

Sorta like one for the rifle and two for me? ;)

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer