Author Topic: Figure eight shooting.  (Read 5585 times)

Micah2

Figure eight shooting.
« on: March 31, 2014, 04:38:00 AM »
I had a friend that shot my rifle very well with what he called figure eight shooting.  I think I know, but does anyone have further explanation?  I am trying to really be in top shooting form for this fall hunting with flintlock only. 

hammer

Re: Figure eight shooting.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »
Could this be what I have seen air rifle/small bore competitors do?    Offhand.   Rather than try to hold dead steady on the bull they control the foresight movement into a lateral figure of 8.    The centre is held on the bullseye and crosses it twice from left and right.  Gives them two predictable options for pulling the trigger.    If I remember rightly this is not easy to do and the figure of 8 becomes very difficult to control as the string progresses, even for the top shots.   

bonron

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 05:03:31 PM »
Hammer: I shot smallbore in the late 50's and 60's and this method was common  then although some shooters held so that the end of the movement came at the bullseye.    Ron

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:39:57 PM »
So it's more like the symbol for "infinity?" Is the idea to have the crossing point of the "infinity" cross the center of the bull?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »
In offhand shooting the rifle is always moving. The figure eight is due to natural body movement while holding the rifle, it is not controlled by the shooter. The longer you hold the rifle the larger the figure eight gets. In offhand shooting it becomes instinctive to release the shot as the sight crosses the center of the target.

If you try to control release of the shot, you will pull or jerk the trigger.

A good offhand shooter never knows when the shot will be released but can tell you where the bullet hit without looking at the target. It's all practice, practice, practice.

Centershot

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »
Centershot is dead on with his description. If you ever get a chance to take professional offhand training they try to teach you to control your heartbeat to flatten the figure 8. Very interesting stuff. It is possible to slow your heartbeat mentally.

Micah2

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 02:05:29 AM »
Thanks, so I will look this up and learn more.

Micah2

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 02:13:56 AM »
Thanks, so I will look this up and learn more.

Online Karl Kunkel

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 04:56:46 AM »
Breath control, heartbeat, figure eight and trigger control.  My challenge was getting all four to settle in together before I held too long and my sway would kick in!
Kunk

necchi

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 05:37:47 AM »
they try to teach you to control your heartbeat to flatten the figure 8. Very interesting stuff. It is possible to slow your heartbeat mentally.
Truth to that! It's what some folks call getting in the zone",,
It's all part of the mind control,, Zen,,
Figure 8, a combination of Heart beat, breathing and awareness of it..
Your muscles will give you a max of 15 seconds, if you can't make it don't. Drop, relax, recover and try again.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 10:39:04 PM »
I've never noticed a figure 8 movement when holding - I've seen side to side, up and down, but never a figure 8 when shooting offhand. Stance and hold dictates where most of the movement is.  With the index finger of my left hand pointing down the barrel, but resting on the entry-pipe, I get very little side to side movement when holding, mostly just up and down. Not having to dope-out the side to side movement, helps with my offhand shooting, as it's easier to only have one movement.  Trying to force a shape of movement by using arm and back muscles might work for some - not for me. Due to having a very bad back, I have to shoot rather quickly.
I stand facing the target, concentrate in it, bring the gun up and as the sights come in and settle on it, finish off the shot. Works for me.
Practice/shoot enough so you know what works for you.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:39:35 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 09:51:13 PM »
It is a good way to teach yourself to jerk the trigger trying to catch the shot just right.