Author Topic: Needing help with ID - More pictures added of initials  (Read 4477 times)

Offline gibster

Needing help with ID - More pictures added of initials
« on: April 07, 2014, 05:54:51 PM »
I had a guy call me Saturday night wanting to sell a rifle.  It had been in his family for four generations and he was going to leave it to his daughter, but she wanted money instead.  Go figure.  His family was from around the Pittsburg area of Pennsylvania as far as he knew.  He really didn't know much about his family history.  Anyway, the rifle is in untouched condition and is in very good shape.  It's not a high end fancy rifle, but one that has been taken care of by one family for several generations.  There are no repairs to the wood that I can find.  He told me that family tales say that a member of his family made the rifle.  but he had no idea who it may have been.  His Father shot the rifle about 5-years ago and with the condition that it is in, I have no reason to not believe him.  The bore is in good shape and would probably be a good shooter if someone was so inclined.  There are initials on the barrel, but I am having trouble making them out.  Here are some pictures of the rifle and any help ID'ing the maker would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:38:11 AM by gibster »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Needing help with ID
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:05:35 PM »
I think I'm seeing a full last name under that crud
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

R.Baitinger

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 06:28:08 PM »

Looks like a great rifle the name will come don't let it get away.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:41:26 PM »
If someone in his family made the rifle it wasn't their first rodeo, shows nice lines and inletting. The engraving is nice but that might have been by another hand, who knows. Initial capitals look like "J" and "T" and there could be more after the T.

Adding my Don't let it get away, nice rifle gun.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 07:23:56 PM »
Looked at the Western PA book but nothing jumped out at me. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 07:24:48 PM »
Huntington Cty comes to mind.  Maybe Mark Tyler will know more.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Nice piece Gibster.  Lucky you.  I agree on the first initial being a "J", but I'm not seeing a "T".  Looks more like the left side of an H or a K.  There's something after that, but what?  Have you tried shining a light down low and from the side so the light goes across the letters?  Good luck on the ID, but it's a nice piece even without knowing the maker.

Oh, what about that muzzle?  The square grooves seem to end just inside the muzzle.  Is that an optical illusion or is the bore smooth?

-Ron
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:27:23 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Breadhead

• Common sense is uncommon.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 11:42:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure there is more there on the signature.  I did a little cursory Photoshop manipulation of the photo you posted and can see the second initial quite well, and perhaps even another letter or two.  Take a few more pictures of the signature and post or PM them to me.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 01:05:36 AM »
The left side of the original second letter sure looks like the left side of the d in dickert. Keep in mind half of the german first names started with J ie johann.  Then they often were called by their middle names

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 02:43:19 AM »
My first thought was the patch box looks a lot like the Small family but the lock area and other things seem to be just too far off.  I have seen something very similar but I can't seem to find it. There is a Sam Small gun in the Ohio section of the library for comparison.  I'll keep a lookin.  Jack

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 04:28:26 AM »
Here is the S. Small link: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=24269.0

This is not a Huntingdon county rifle.

Offline gibster

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 04:37:35 AM »
Here are a few more pictures of the initials on the barrel of the rifle.  These pictures show up much better than the one I originally posted. I agree that the first initial is probably a J and from these pictures, it looks to me that the secone initial is an H.  The guy's last name that I bought it from is Hamilton. And if a family member made the rifle as his family seems to think, it may fit.  One thing that I made a mistake on is that his family was from the Philadelphia area, not Pittsburg.  Sorry about the misinformation.  I appreciate all the comments so far and maybe we can get this figured out.  I found a reference for a James Hamilton that worked in Fawn Township in York County PA up till 1842.  There are a few other makers listed whos initials would fit, but who knows.

Ky-Flinter - the bore is deeply rifled and in pretty good condition.
Breadhead - I appreciate thehelp with Photoshoping the image.
Here are the pictures.

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Needing help with ID - More pictures added of initials
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 05:19:05 AM »
I agree, it's JH.
John
John Robbins