Author Topic: Another Banded Horn  (Read 6077 times)

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Another Banded Horn
« on: August 26, 2013, 05:35:40 PM »

This one, at 15” around the outside curve, may be on the outside edge as far as length goes for a Banded horn. The Walnut base is held in place with 4 pins. The two part Whitetail antler tip is held together with 3 pins and is held to the horn with 3 more. Each band is also  held in place with 3. The color is AF and Brown shoe polish. The horn is scraped thin enough to see through.
 As usual any critique is welcome.

Tim C

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Another Banded Horn
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:46:27 PM »
Love the horn and the color.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:55:58 PM »
As expected Tim, great job. I'm getting to really like the aquafortis and shoe polish myself. Easy, quick, and very controllable.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 01:16:45 AM »
I love that color ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 02:08:11 AM »
Tim,
Another super horn. Hope you will be bringing some of these to Newark next month.
Mark
Mark

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 04:45:14 AM »
Now Tim that is a nice looking banded horn.  Color and execution is excellent. 

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 05:13:46 AM »
Great looking horn!  Color is perfect.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

lonehunter

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 01:30:12 AM »
Very nice!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 04:21:21 AM »
"Any critique"?  I bought it, that's how much I like this horn.   :)  It is sitting right above me as I type.  Great job Tim.  Best wishes,  Marc

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 05:21:27 AM »
Tim........nice horn, something I have never fooled with.     When you say you colored it with AF, I assume you mean aquafortis?   If that is the case, do you handle it the same as if you are staining a maple stock?  Do you apply it, dry it, then
apply heat?....Don

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 04:19:45 PM »
Tim........nice horn, something I have never fooled with.     When you say you colored it with AF, I assume you mean aquafortis?   If that is the case, do you handle it the same as if you are staining a maple stock?  Do you apply it, dry it, then
apply heat?....Don

Yes it is Aqua Fortis. I clean the horn with rubbing alcohol, coat the horn using a dauber, like you would use for leather dye, let is sit for a while, 30-40 min, wipe it off (I use a paper shop towel) and heat it with a heat gun, I have tried both low and high and except for the time it takes find little difference in the settings. Let it cool and wash it in warm water, dry it and if it is the color you want finish the horn, if not repeat the process. If you get splotches or streaks either you missed that spot or it had oil on it, it can come as simple as your finger tips. If you watch closely as you paint it on you may see little areas that look as if it will not stick to it, like water flowing off a waxed car, that is a sign of oils on the horn of a spot that is scraped smoother that the area around it, as if you missed a spot If either happens you will have to scrape the whole horn down and start over.
  Got a little carried away but I hope this answers your question.

Tim

Hessian

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 06:25:31 AM »
Nice horn Tim!

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 04:22:52 PM »
Tim, I really like your banded horns.  They just have a look about them that says I need to be hanging from your side full of powder.  I saw your blowing horn that you made for Smokinbuck this past Sunday at the Marietta AOLRC show--super nice--I liked it a lot also.