Author Topic: Lock Stock & Barrel....  (Read 3539 times)

dlbarr

Lock Stock & Barrel....
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:43:13 PM »
...by R.H. McCrory. Is this a worthwhile book for a "new guy" builder?

I have Dixon's book on long rifle building.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:43:41 PM by Dave »

Offline flehto

Re: Lock Stock & Barrel....
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:00:50 PM »
That was my first "how to" book because of the low price, but soon realized that I needed more "guidance" than was contained in McCrory's book. So, I bought Buchele's "Recreating the American Longrifle" and between the two was able to build a LR from a blank......in fact still have it. Then I bought the later edition of "Recreating......" by Buchele, Shumweay  and Alexander. It probably wasn't necessary, but who knows. Then bought Dixon's book and learned a little more, but realized that Dixon's book didn't enumerate the building order which helped me  so much after reading Buchele's book.  The enumerated building order is of prime importance to a  beginner.

Reading and studying all the above books was a worthwhile undertaking....how else does someone w/o the possibility of viewing originals build halfway decent LRs? The ALR and another MLing website have also widened my knowledge and it's still an ongoing process. .....Fred

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:01:28 PM »
Everything that was in Recreating the American Longrifle is in The Gunsmith of Grenville County by Peter Alexander and then some.     I have Recreating the American Longrifle (my first buidling book), Dixons book, and The Gunsmith of Grenville County along with a number of others.   My recommendation is to just get The Gunsmith of Grenville County along with Rifles of Colonial America and The Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age.   I would consider these the starter books for any serious builder or collector.    When you are ready for some advanced building techniques, buy Gunsmithing Tips & Projects (The John Bivens articles from Rifle magazine), by Wolf Publishing Company.  You will find all my recommended reading and viewing at http://www.markelliottva.com/wordpress/2011/09/recommended-reading-viewing-for-the-southern-longrifle-and-accouterment-maker/

galamb

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:58:28 PM »
I too would vote for The Gunsmith of Grenville County.

And yes, I get the sticker shock many experience when they see it listed in the 35-50 buck range depending on the vendor.

But consider that, at the high end, say 50 bucks, plus the cost of a pattern 10-20 more bucks against the 800-1000 dollars worth of parts and a couple hundred hours of your time to build the rifle.

70 bucks would represent no more than 7% of the cost of parts and that would drop to 2% if you figure your time is worth $10/hours (ya we work for free when working for ourselves, but it still has some value).

And if a good book saves even one mistake, then it's probably worth the cost.

eddillon

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:17:56 PM »
I too would vote for The Gunsmith of Grenville County.

And yes, I get the sticker shock many experience when they see it listed in the 35-50 buck range depending on the vendor.

But consider that, at the high end, say 50 bucks, plus the cost of a pattern 10-20 more bucks against the 800-1000 dollars worth of parts and a couple hundred hours of your time to build the rifle.

70 bucks would represent no more than 7% of the cost of parts and that would drop to 2% if you figure your time is worth $10/hours (ya we work for free when working for ourselves, but it still has some value).

And if a good book saves even one mistake, then it's probably worth the cost.

I absolutely agree with you with the exception of wages.  You must work faster than I can.  I figure I'm getting about @3.00/hr   ;D

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 01:16:20 AM »
Hi Dave,
It is a very worthwhile little book and very inexpensive but if you already own Dixon's book, McCrory's won't add anything.  I started with it years ago because it and my first parts were all I could afford.  Later I got Buchele's book, then Dixon's, and finally Alexanders.  Nonetheless, McCrory's book has a special place in my heart because it was the book I used to build my first gun.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."