Author Topic: William Sheffer Mt. Solon, Va.  (Read 3296 times)

Offline MGillman

William Sheffer Mt. Solon, Va.
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:28:08 PM »
Has anyone ever seen or heard of a William Sheffer rifle from the Shenandoah Valley? Dr. Whisker lists him as a gunsmith and builder of the Virginia Pacificator. I did find the newspaper clipping of the exhibition of that gun in Staunton, Va. Upon other research, he is the 2nd cousin to my 5th Great Grandfather, gunsmith, Jacob Shaffer of Wythe COunty, Va.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: William Sheffer Mt. Solon, Va.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:46:45 AM »
There is a signed gun by Jacob Shaffer in the ALR Museum on this website
Hurricane
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:47:20 AM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

brooktrout

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:48:26 PM »
I know a collector up in that area of Va.  I'll drop him a note and see if he has more on Sheffer.  I take it that you have the Whisker's book on Virginia gunsmiths.  I have been encouraged to by it and currently have my eye on one in paperback and supposed to be the "latest update".  Can you tell me if it contains much on a maker by the name of Sites who apparently worked in his early years in Fincastle, Va and then maybe in Mo.  I'm looking for an original gun made by a "local" maker if I can find one.  Thanks. 

brooktrout

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »
Got a reply from the guy mentioned above.  He said he is not familiar with the makers you mentioned.  Here is a site you might want to check out.  He is only a little further up I-81 but I have spoken to him several times, just causual gun conversation and he has always been helpful.  Currently has a couple Virginia guns offered for sale.

http://www.aspenshadeltd.com/