Author Topic: 1770's Lancaster gun  (Read 10272 times)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
1770's Lancaster gun
« on: April 16, 2014, 02:25:45 AM »
Well, I finally just finished this rifle.  Took me much longer than anticipated, the weather fought me (hard), the wood itself fought me, I've been sick with sinus pressure (hopefully naht a tumah) for 4 months, but after all that, I think it came out ok.

Normally Lancaster guns bore me to tears.  But these biggest, earliest ones I like.

This camera I have simply refuses to take decent photos of this gun, doesn't want to focus, or puts a frosty appearance on the stock, but maybe you can tell something from some of these:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:38:55 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Gary Tucker

Re: 1770's Lancaster gun
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 02:35:58 AM »
Really nice rifle Chris.  I like those early Lancasters myself.  This one looks right on the mark.  Nice and slim looking for a big early gun.
Gary Tucker

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 02:53:03 AM »
Great looking stout early rifle.  Real clean work.  Believable
Andover, Vermont

Offline Glenn

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:54:05 AM »
Beautiful gun.  Real fine job on the relief carving.  Barrel browning goes well with finish too.  Thanks for sharing.
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 03:18:30 AM »
Looks great. I think your carving looks really good.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 03:27:53 AM »
Very nice in all respects. I like the color and the nice clean carving. Did you have a particular maker in min d when you built it?

kaintuck

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 03:36:21 AM »
 ;D
Nice.....but where's the dang toe plate?

You ain't finished yet! ;)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 04:03:57 AM »
Thanks, guys.

I'm not the world's greatest carver, but then, if you REALLY look at a lot of old guns, even some of the "masters" weren't all that great either!   :D  I'm a fair carver.  The acanthuslaub design in front of the cheekpiece I have always had particular trouble drawing out, even when directly copying a design.  I finally got this one laid out right, and I think I did OK on it.

One thing I have a hard time with is background cleanup, and seeing all the rough places when the wood is still white (or even when stained)... only to see the bad spots after I've started finishing!!!  For this, I have found the antler tip burnisher to be a most valuable tool.  Though it can take CONSIDERABLE pressure to do, you can smooth off rough places, get rid of file marks, and level the wood surface.  Wonderful tool.

The customer wanted the barrel browned, so I did.  It looks ok, but I personally don't think it looks good with the yellow brass.  The barrel becomes almost invisible, and the bright brass stands out even more.  It's just a quick hot brown with some old Belgian Blue I have.  Finish is really boiled linseed oil (THICK) with lots of turpentine.  The lock is a SiL&R.   :D

Oh, and it's pretty much based on the signed Andreas Albrecht gun, presumably from the early to mid 1770's.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:13:04 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 04:44:20 AM »
Nice looking rifle.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 04:48:48 AM »
Just... wow!

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 05:34:03 AM »
Nice job!
Much to my liking. ;D

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 07:30:03 AM »
Chris - that is a very handsome rifle!  Very clean, not overly done, as Rich said "believable".  Nice attention to detail with the moldings, as well as the cosmetic lock alterations.  I like it a lot!
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 02:36:38 PM »
I really like it.  I do agree with you  about the barrel/browning etc.  Question...probably just the photo, but it looks like the rear sight is slanted towards the muzzle ie reversed ???

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
I like that style gun, and yours looks authentic.
Get some of those colored crayons for filling in nicks in furniture and rub in those pin holes; it will fill the hole and cover the bright ends of the pins.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
Nice--just nice--I would be proud to carry such a rifle into the woods to hunt the wiley whitetail.  Very clean and I agree with everyone else, not overdone, but well executed.  The person you built it for must be a senior citizen (like the most of us) as it appears that the rear sight is at least 12 to 14 inches from the breech.  I have one rifle that I put my rear sight 15 inches from the breech, but for my eyes it is perfectly clear at that distance.  Great work and hope your sinus is clearing with this spring weather that is trying to break us out of winter.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 04:31:58 PM »
Nice clean work Chris . Your customer should be pleased!!!!!

Mitch

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 04:49:34 PM »
Nice and clean but not sterile Chris. I agree with you on the plum brown though.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 04:54:54 PM »
Very fine rifle Chris! You mentioned your barrel browning process a bit and I'd like to know more about your technique. Would you have preferred leaving it in the white? I never really cared for bare barrels and always have to either brown or blue them with a lot of carding. The trend these days seems to be leaving barrels and locks bright which to my eye looks unfinished.  Your carving is well done and really fits the era you were striving for.  The new owner is a lucky fellow!
Joel Hall

ironwolf

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 05:47:23 PM »
  Good job Chris.  Always nice to see your work.

Kevin

Offline t.caster

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »
I prefer to build the early rifles. That one is done "JUST RIGHT"  ;)
Tom C.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 10:21:36 PM »
That is a very clean, neat gun; looking like it just came out of an 18th century gunshop.   More of us should do work like that.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 01:22:09 AM »
Thank y'all.  "believable", "looking like it just came out of an 18th century gunshop".  That's what I really try to do.  To the best of my ability make something that may not be perfect, but looks and feels like a real 18th century rifle.

Bob, it's an optical illusion, the sight leans back a bit.

Yeah, usually I leave the barrel bright... or rather I just leave it alone, handle it, rub off any excess rust with steel wool, and by the time I'm done with the gun, the barrel is already "aged" with a nice grayish "patina".

Majorjoel, the barrel is browned with some old Belgian Blue.  Just heat the barrel with a torch, and wipe some of the solution on, repeating and going over the barrel until you get it evenly colored.  It's a "fast rust blue" solution, you're supposed to apply it a little at a time (rather than a lot, like I did to make brown), card off rust, and boil it in water to turn it blue, then repeat until a good blue is built up.  When you do it right, it will make a most pleasing deep satiny grayish black.  I have only experimented with it on small parts and not done a barrel with it yet (other than browning with it!  :D ).

I think I'll brown the pin tips before I send it out.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 06:23:28 AM »
Stophel that is a very nice looking rifle. I love the heavy early rifles and this rifle fits that bill. If you have not boiled the barrel you may want to give that a try if you indeed want the blue look on the barrel, it may still turn. Cold blue works well on the end of the pins and screw ends to  hide the shine.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 09:39:31 PM »
Nice Lancaster, Stophel. I wish I could get a better look at the wrist area and the area around the tang. Congratulations on some fine workmanship!

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »
Wow. that's nice, I wish I could do wood like that.  Mine look OK, but that's real nice.