Author Topic: An Easter shoot in the Uinta Mountains  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Herb

An Easter shoot in the Uinta Mountains
« on: April 27, 2014, 08:35:10 PM »
Jim Goodman had his Peep Shoot Easter Sunday.  I think there were 11 shooters,three of them left-handed and only two caplocks.  (I still got sand in my eyes.)  We got rained out for a while.  Targets were all steel clangers except for the peeps (yellow marshmallow chicks).  First station, loading.

Russ shooting.

Carney and two others shot left-handed.  He won, but I don't know the scores.

Neill trying to find the target.  Some were tough to see, or swung edge-wise.

When Kyne smacked them with that big bore rifle of his (.69?) you knew it.

Jim shooting the first of three peep targets.  I missed one, clipped one (didn't count) and blew one away.

Jean getting ready.

Bob Clemans of Golden, CO.  I built his left-handed Hawken in 1996, using a .54 32" GRRW barrel.  I hand-sawed the stock out of a plank of West Virginia walnut.  He tied me for second, but I lost to the coin toss.  I have no luck with them.

Carole shooting her little .40 flinter I built for her.  Carl chose to shoot her .50 flinter, which he had me build for her for their 50th Wedding anniversary.  He shot it well, too!

Carl getting primed for the cross-canyon shots

Lynn hitting a steel target with her little .40 that Neill built to fit her.  Five targets here, over 100 yards away.  A tall orange "bugler", a "tombstone" to his left, a pig to his right, then a red "hostile" and a red "mercenary".  These are just generic clangers and so I shot them.  Missed the tombstone, though.

Lounging on the cabin porch.  Bob sewed his shirt a few days before for this event.

The prize table, baskets of goodies.  I think there were 11 shooters but not all put down prizes.  The horns were not prizes, Jim Goodman makes them to sell.

My prize for third place, a bottle of Mead, chocolate and goat cheese.  It all went well with the alligator gumbo that Bob cooked for our party Monday night.

Most of us,  Russ missing.

A hotly contested game of Farkel finished off the day.  A good meal, too.  I played guitar some.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 07:08:37 AM by Herb »
Herb

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

Re: An Easter shoot in the Uinta Mountains
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 04:48:50 AM »
Thank you for posting the pics. I very much wish I could get the time to enjoy such things...

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Herb, always enjoy seeing folks out enjoying their smoke pole's.  Looks like great fun was had by all! :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

d-a

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 02:37:47 AM »
Herb

I always enjoy your pictures and writings.

d-a