Author Topic: turkey hunting barrel.?  (Read 13312 times)

Offline Kalhoon

• Starting Member
Re: turkey hunting barrel.?
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 03:40:40 AM »
Curt congrats to you and your son on the turkey hunt. And fine shooting too.

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 01:10:19 PM »
  Thanks Kalhoon ,  I know now it was a long shot and I wont be tryin that again,but I think I am goin to pattern it at 40 yards just to see what happens .I would not shoot that far with a rifle if we could use them as I think the fun Is seein how close you can get.I hate just woundin and losin one .

D A I think the leadin of the barrels is what I dislike the most w/any smooth bore but w/ the right load and cleanin I think it can be easily dealt with .At the end of the season I am goin to unbreach the barrel and clean it from the breech towards the muzzle .A paper cartridge might be a good idea too or a cloth shot holder.I guess we just need to experiment  a little but who has the time.O well isn't that what its all about anyway?  Curt

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 01:49:12 PM »
Curt ....have had good results keeping the leading down in the Colrain turkey choke by using a pillow ticking shot cup.
These are cut to size and formed while loading using a wood dowel.
These ticking cups are supported underneath  using a wool wad.
The choke restriction is long enough to hold the wads and shot cup without falling into the .62 cal bore.
while loading it's powder -wool wad-ticking patch lubed-shot-over shot card.
Here's a picture of some recovered ticking shot cups while experimenting on wad size.
These ticking patch shot cups were cut for no over lap on side seams.
Just another option if your anal  like me about  smooth bore condition .
The darker patches had less lube on them

here's the load column..plastic cup to measure shot volume only.

These turkey choke barrels are a nice transition from using a cf shotgun...

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:11:04 PM by WaterFowl »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »
WF, I sure would like to see a tutorial-style sequence of your loading with those "shot cups." I'm having trouble visualizing it and wondering why the cup doesn't collapse when the shot goes in. I REALLY like this idea. Have you tried it with steel or bismuth shot, or just lead?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 03:50:41 AM »
W F I also tryd the tickin strips (shot cups)and found that they worked ok  .Im not done experimentin with my load development yet though.
 Im with you on keepin the bore as clean as possible ,I wish we could use # 2 shot ,I think that might be an advantage also ,some might disagree but that fine. I  m goin to try the corn cob meal also on my next shootin session too.Curt

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 05:50:36 AM »
Curt..Have had good success with #5 nickle plated shot.Your results may very.

Kermitt..the ticking patch has a damp lube and adheres to the bore while pouring shot into cup
It really is that simple.
Center the patch insert dowel to form cup...
the wool wad underneath keeps it from moving further down the bore.

Used these ticking patches for lead shot only....remember its used to reduce bore leading.

When shooting nontoxic its Hevi-shot..so its a plastic protective cup or I sit on the couch.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:00:36 AM by WaterFowl »

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 05:28:37 PM »
I think I read all the posts on this subject, but could have missed this tidbit of information.  Thc Colerain Turkey Choked smoothbore barrel was designed and built for many years by Keith Casteel.  When he had more orders than he could make barrels for, he asked Colerain to make the barrels for him.  So, the barrel is Keith's design and for a short time, all the tooling used by Colerain to make them was Keith's.  I believe the turkey shot at 56 yards, as Keith swears that this barrel will hold a tight enough pattern out to 60 yards to kill a turkey.  In fact, he says that it shoots such a tight group at short ranges that he added a rear sight to all the fowlers he built using it so that they could stay on target.  I plan to order one of the barrelsfrom TOW as soon as I get some extra dollars.