Author Topic: Mud wasps !!  (Read 12130 times)

Offline Nordnecker

Re: Mud wasps !!
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 03:01:50 PM »
I've never known 'em to sting. And yes, I've watched a patch of mud as they tirelessly come and roll up a little ball of mud, over and over, just to come back and get another. There's definitely more than one kind of "mud dauber". But what I call a mud dauber makes a nest out in the open, not inside a hole. These nests are like rows of mud, about the size of your fingers. The insect unrolls the balls of mud in little V shaped layers. I've noticed that they definately prefer a certain type of spider to feed their larvae. Some contain all brown spiders. I've seen "em completely full of lime green spiders, even full of black widow spiders. And they aren't dead, they're zombiefied.
And then there's the sort that fills up a hole. I had one that like to dig a little hole in a pice of green styrofoam. It made a lot of noise while it "rattled" out the hole. Then it filled the hole with the purest white mud you ever saw. It looked like porcelain. I don't know where in the world it came from.
As Spock would say, "Fascinating".
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 04:32:31 PM »
I've never known 'em to sting. And yes, I've watched a patch of mud as they tirelessly come and roll up a little ball of mud, over and over, just to come back and get another. There's definitely more than one kind of "mud dauber". But what I call a mud dauber makes a nest out in the open, not inside a hole. These nests are like rows of mud, about the size of your fingers. The insect unrolls the balls of mud in little V shaped layers. I've noticed that they definately prefer a certain type of spider to feed their larvae. Some contain all brown spiders. I've seen "em completely full of lime green spiders, even full of black widow spiders. And they aren't dead, they're zombiefied.
And then there's the sort that fills up a hole. I had one that like to dig a little hole in a pice of green styrofoam. It made a lot of noise while it "rattled" out the hole. Then it filled the hole with the purest white mud you ever saw. It looked like porcelain. I don't know where in the world it came from.

Spock as well as these little bugs have a WORK ETHIC which is more than can be said for  professional parasites like we are plagued with now.Put the bugs on the ballot.

Bob Roller

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 02:58:00 AM »

Yeah, we get the "white dirt" in holes from a smaller wasp.  Never knew what to call them.  Dobbed up is dobbed up and you gotta undobbit:o
Hold to the Wind