Author Topic: vent liner for A weithg barrel?  (Read 3757 times)

chuck-ia

vent liner for A weithg barrel?
« on: February 01, 2009, 05:13:34 PM »
I am to the point where I need to put the vent liner in my A weight 36 cal. barrel. What size liner should I use? I am thinking a 1/4", (white lightning) is this correct? Looks like there might be enough room for a 5/16" allso. This is one of the scary parts of building for me. chuck

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: vent liner for A weithg barrel?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 06:40:31 PM »
I would use the 1/4" WL or make one similar.  I tend to prefer shop made for my own reasons.
I generally make my own and seat them on a shoulder when in the side of the barrel. I also keep them forward of the breech face slightly and do not "notch" the breech face since this will allow gas into the threads and I don't like it.
You can use a longer threaded breech and put the vent liner into the breechplug with a shoulder and chamber the plug with a 5/16 or slightly larger drill or ball end mill. 3/8 would be too big for a 36.

This is the strongest "plain" breech.
Your mileage may vary.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:18:43 PM »
1/4" works for me. 
See other recent posts this same topic under "Vent liner placement..."

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Bentflint

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 07:35:12 PM »
I always start with a 1/4" no matter what the barrel size. Just in case the threads get buggered up later in life of the gun, you go to the next size bigger.

Bruce Everhart

chuck-ia

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 10:54:44 PM »
Thanks, I will go with the 1/4". chuck

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 11:25:47 PM »
If you use the 1/4" and mess up you can go to the 5/16" . Always asuume something will go wrong. Then it won't.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

chuck-ia

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 01:26:09 AM »
Boy, ain't that the truth. The last one I did, I drilled and tapped the hole, all went well, then countersunk, and could not get the tap started to clean the threads. I think this time I will drill, countersink, tap, in that order. Also, I think I will countersink a little deeper so the liner will go in a tad deeper, leaving a little more depth to the vent liner hole. The one I put in the last rifle I built, I did not countersink very deep leaving a thin touch hole, I put probably 600 round through the gun through the summer and the hole turned from a nice round 1/16" hole to a jagged, egg shaped hole, I countersunk the hole a little deeper and put a new liner in. I am assuming I just did not countersink deep enough. chuck