Author Topic: Gun for a friend  (Read 7511 times)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Gun for a friend
« on: February 01, 2009, 06:33:52 PM »
Well, ready to post up some pics of the current build nearing completion.  This is a gun for a friend, my first build for someone else (different feeling doing that!).  As only my third gun I wasn't ready to do one for sale, but my buddy liked my first two so I made him a deal, if he bought all the parts I'd build him one.  Let me practice without laying out the cash.   ;)

He decided on an early Lancaster style, shorter barrel (36"), .40 for targets and squirrels and close range deer.  Wanted a Maryland flag on it, but other than that left the details up to my whims.  Only about two weeks out from finishing it, just staining and browning and such left now.  I'll post more pics when it's done, but here's one I took yesterday, it's the 3rd one down.

"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Tommy Bruce

Re: Gun for a friend
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »
Pretty cool Ospry, it looks like you have plans for another as well.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:14:16 PM »
Looks like a nice body of work...

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

George F.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 07:21:21 PM »
Well it looks good, from what we can see of it. If you can post some close ups. By the way, tell us about the others if you can. Are they yours also?...Geo.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 08:44:35 PM »
Yeah, they're mine, in order of builds from top down.  .45 MD style, ,45 Lehigh with german silver trim (those took 3 deer each the past two seasons  ;D ) and the bottom is the next one, .54 Beck with a 44" barrel.  I love the carving on the Beck in the virtual library, going to try and do it on that one.  One of the guys I build with is doing the same gun with a 42" bbl, except he's got 20 years of experience so I'm not sure I want to compare!

Only a few close up pics came out, won't take any more until it's done.  Still some sanding to do... 

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 12:59:06 AM »
# 3 eh?   Very nice work!  What did you do to darken the edges of your carving in these pictures?
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »
I figured I'd get that question!  It's from a wood burner.  I have a very good one from when I used to carve decoys, different angled and curved blades and all, and I use it a lot on guns.  I used it here just to sharpen the lines of the carving and add some small details.  For incise work it makes great, sharp edged details.  When you put on the stains you don't see it at all (don't know what aquafortis would do to it though...  I also use it to lay out the carving instead of stabbing it in or cutting with a knife.  Awesome for that, the hot tip doesn't care about grain direction or curl, then I follow with a sharp knife tip and carve it out from there.  Not the 18th century way, of course, but I do what works for me.

Offline Tom Moore

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 11:36:27 PM »
Osprey: Very nice indeed! If you need to build another practice rifle for a friend let me know. I'd be more than happy to buy the parts.   -Tom

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Re: Gun for a friend (New pics)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »
Got her done!  Need to site it in, and I forgot to brown the tang bolt so I've still got to fix that, but my buddy is coming over Monday to pick it up and learn how to shoot it.   ;D

I think this next one may become my trademark, I like how the turkle toeplate turned out. Traditional decoration, plus terrapins are a Chesapeake thing, so I may do these on all my guns from now on...

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 07:46:52 PM »

Leon

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 07:57:38 PM »
Wow that looks really impressive for a third build. I'm sure your friend will be thrilled. How much engraving have you done before? Leon   

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 08:02:50 PM »
Leon, this is the second one I've tried engraving on, plus a bit of practicing.  That's definitely the main thing I feel I need to get better on.

Here's a few more.  As always, comments and constructive criticism welcome.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 11:50:08 PM »
Geeze, Osprey, your carving and engraving looks really good. Nice wood, good color and architecture. I am impressed.

A couple of comments on what you might do next time:

I noticed your side plate appears to be on top of the wood, when it should be inlet into the wood, maybe about 1/2 the thickness or so, depending on the style of plate.

The extensions of the guard should also be inlet a little deeper, so they are almost flush.

That said, keep up the good work, Osprey

Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 02:32:25 AM »
Osprey,
You're definitely on the right path.  Here is one thing I would offer.  When laying out the engraving pattern, especially on the patchbox, try to make the engraving design an extension of the outline of the box.  In other words the outline and the engraving become one unit to complete the picture.  Whereas your engraving now is simply mimicking the out line.
Check out Mark Wheland's swivel breech Bonewitz http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2009/02/bonewitz-swivel-breech-by-mark-wheland.html
See the way the engraving lines are an extension of the outline.
Mark's work, probably makes it much clearer than my explanation.

I think you'll like the results

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:34:48 AM by Jeff Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 04:20:07 AM »
Jeff, I like that engraving on your link, that's not something I'd picked up on yet.  Thanks.

Acer, I had the trigger gaurd pretty good, until I shaped around the lock panels and had an oh $#@* moment when I put down the file.  >:(  The sideplates seem to get me so far.  I have them about right, but when I tighten the lock bolts the top and forward pull down into the wood and pop up the bottom and back too much.  One of about a dozen little things I know I need to do better on the next one.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 12:19:14 AM »
Well, my buddy Art came over today to get his gun.  I don't think I even slept last night wondering and worrying if he'd like it, I guess the first one you build for somebody else is like that?  He was pretty excited though, and spent a good bit of time fondling it and looking at all the little stuff on it.  He got even happier when I showed him how to shoot it and his first two shots were dead center in a 2" bullseye.   ;D

I do believe I got cussed once though, something about eight looooonnng months until blackpowder season starts again!   ;D ;D ;D

Leon

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 03:15:05 AM »
Where did the parts come from and how much did they cost? Your friend Art now has a rifle that is worth more than money. It has a part of a good friend in it. Leon

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 07:50:31 AM »
Osprey, that's a beautiful rifle. I'd have a hard time giving it up! I like the engraving. And nice job inletting the buttplate. Can I ask what stain and finish you used on the stock?

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 03:25:46 PM »
dogcreek, used a base stain of bright orange Solar-lux, topped by LMF Nut Brown. 

Leon, I think he had 650 or so in parts, mix of stuff from TOTW, MBS and pick-ups from Dixon's last year, plus some things I made from sheet brass and german silver.  He handed me a check and I told him he'd have a gun within a year, so he's a trusting friend, too.   ;)  Part of the deal was that he buy me a book for my longrifle shelf when it was done.  Told him I wanted Whisker's Bedford book, so he's ordering that and will write something in it, that way I'll have something to remember the build.

Need the Bedford book because another good friend, old college room-mate, lives up that way and he may need a rifle for an elk hunt we're accumulating preference points for.