Author Topic: Most influential builder  (Read 26128 times)

long carabine

Most influential builder
« on: February 02, 2009, 04:08:25 AM »
 Maybe the topic should be Favorite builder. Who is your favorite ML builder? I particulary like the House Brothers. There style is right on the money.

Offline woodsrunner

Re: Most influential builder
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 04:27:51 AM »
There are a number of excellent builders out there! I wouldn't mention a single name because I would accidently forget someone! I hold them all in AWE! (I'm not a builder. I can tangle up crowbars and break anvels ;D)

jimrbto

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 05:43:07 AM »
Perhaps it would have been best to phrase the question with reference to a period of time in the past, long past.  If you are interested in makers currently building then take a look at the beautiful work being done by them and choose your own favorite or the one that influences you the most.
Jim

Madcaster

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 06:28:12 AM »
 Among current builders is Wallace Gusler,Tom Caster,and Bill Shipman.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:14:29 PM by Madcaster »

Offline Ezra

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 06:44:37 AM »
Mike Brooks, Brad Emig, Ron Scott, Jim Chambers, Hershel House.

There are others, but those are the first that come to mind.

Ez
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:46:50 AM by Ezra »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

J Shingler

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 07:15:55 AM »
As I have built two rifles and a Pistol under Frank House I would say he has influenced me the most. A true artisan. What that man can do with a file is truly amazing.

Jeff

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 07:35:29 AM »
Eric Kettenburg, Allen Martin, Mike Brooks
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:36:16 AM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 09:10:58 AM »
This is really a good subject. 

I think the most influential builders of our time are John Bivins and Hershel House. How we think about what we do starts with one or the other or  both.

Pick any builder and he is heavily influenced by one or the other. Or the bulder he admires is. There are about 20 gunmakers whose work I really think is right on. And their work may be completely different. The above mentioned are all in there.

Allen Martin may march to his own drummer. No one captures the essence of an original  like he does. Jerry Kirklin makes great copies, Allen captures their soul and this is the difference between great craftsmanship and art.

Steve Alexander is the epidomy of craftsmanship. He does English Work. The late Lynton McKenzie, a world class engraver with connections to the best companies in Europe, took him to London to visit the best gunhouses. Purdy, Holland and Holland, etc. The general opinion was that the work was the equal or better than anything before it. INCLUDING THE MANTONS. AMERICANS RULE.

My idea of gunmaking is to work in my own style and apply it to the various schools
as if I were a journeyman. Much like Frederick Sell. You can always recognize his work no matter who he worked for. I was always gratified that whenever I entered a rifle at Dixons, everyone knew who made it regardless of the style and the signature covered with tape.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 01:33:02 PM »
Jud Brennen would get my vote
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Michael

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 02:16:08 PM »
George Schroyer , Sr.

Michael

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 03:34:52 PM »
18th century would be  Dickert and Verner.  Contemporary builders, I would agree with all that have been mentioned and add Ken Netting.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

chapmans

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 04:17:14 PM »
Don't forget Jack Haugh!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 05:18:03 PM »
John Bivins, Herschel House, Eric Kettenburg, A Martin, Mark Silver, Bill Shipman. All for different reasons, but they all share a common passion. I draw inspiration from all of these men, but each in different way.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 05:34:38 PM »
I was thinking of starting a thread like this as I was laying around craping my life away over the week end with food poisoning. (probably more info than you wanted to know ;))
 I've got some real favorites, many of them are relative new comers. I remember when that Mennonite kid Al Martin was wandering around Friendship with a gun he had built. Pretty nice gun, but nothing like he makes now. He asked me if I thought he should give gunbuilding a try full time. I of course encouraged him and the rest is history...not that I can take any credit for it. In fact I have learned quite a bit from Al as his hair has been graying  ;D. EK.. I first saw EK at a CLA show, probably about the year 2000 or so. Here again, he made some nice stuff, but nothing like he's doing today. I gotta figure out what kind of beer that kid is drinking. ;D I really like EK's work, always on the cutting edge. These two guys work I consider to be some of the best artwork I've ever seen.
 Now, Ian Pratt...where the $#*! did this guy come from. Saw him in my booth at F-ship a few years ago...man has this guy took off or what? His work reminds me Of Steve Davis which I also admire a great deal.
 Now on to the "old timers" (no offense  ;)) The house brothers.  H. House, Always a great influence on my work. Frank excells as well. I have always like Bob Harn's work as well. Ken Netting has always got my attention, especially after he retired and started building more guns. I always have like his New England stuff. AH! Chuck Edwards. another highly talented gun builder. Mark Silver, what an artisian. His English stuff is incredible and with out compare, except by maybe the 18th century builders. Bill Shipman is one of my favorite "crisp" gun builders. Most builders who do crisp as new guns just kill the life out of them, not so Bill.  Mike Gahagan, another excellent "crisp" gun builder.Jim Chambers....I wish Jim would take a break from trying to make money and just build more guns, we sure don't get to see enough of his work.
 I probably have forgotten a bunch of people...I'll probably add some more as I think of them.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 05:58:14 PM »
If I had the money to plunk down on a full blown carved and engraved contemporary piece I'd probably go nuts trying to decide  whose work I would invest in.  Even the short list is 5 or 6 makers long.

Instead I'll pick my favorite newcomer (a relative term) gunbuilder and that is definitely Jim Kibler.  For his age and number of guns made, he gets my vote hands down.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 06:00:45 PM »
I have had several builders influence me along the way.The first to influence me was Bill Shipman.I remember going to Dixons for the first time in I think 1986 and being just blown away by Bills work.I knew then that building guns was something I wanted to do.I may never be as good as Bill but he gave me something to shoot for, a level of perfection that I could chase for the rest of my life.After Bill comes Wallace Gusler and Gary Brumfield.I have taken classes with them both in KY that have helped me improve by leaps and bounds over what I could do before.They have taught and pushed me futher than I ever thought I would go!! They are both great teachers in addition to being Master Gunsmiths!!

Mitch

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 06:52:58 PM »
Contemporary would have to be Casteel, without question.

Old time, Armstrong (hey, I live in MD  :) ).

Most influential personally would be Phil Stovall.  I'm sure no one off the Shore has heard of him, but he's been at it for 20 years, built 30 or more guns and is the master of our small gun building group here locally. 
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

J.D.

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 08:43:02 PM »

I'm in a black hole of knowledgeable builders, so I can only speak of those whose work I have occasionally seen, or of those who have freely shared their knowledge. So, how about Jerry Huddleston? I have learned more from Jerry than almost anyone else. He is a wealth of information, and he isn't afraid to divulge gunmakers secrets to struggling new makers. His work ain't bad either.  ;)

Garry Brumfield has also freely shared his considerable knowledge.

Guy Montfort's descriptions of desirable attributes of various original guns, illustrated in the antique collecting forum, sure has influenced my understanding of what makes for really good architecture.

A number of other forum members have provided inspiration and influence, for different reasons.

Bill Shipman, for his crisp, clean work.

Eric Kettenburg for his ability to interpret the works of various builders, to create unique works of art.

And again, Jerry H. for his exquisite, high art work.

Haga's work, in addition to the work of Sheetz, Cole, Beck, Shroyer/Shreyer, and Creamer/Cramer , to name only a few, have provided their own inspiration and influence.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:05:45 PM by J.D. »

flintman-tx

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 09:14:02 PM »
Eric
Kettenberg is a 18th century gunsmith that wound up in this time frame through a time warp!!!

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 10:41:33 PM »
I have most recently been influenced by Bill Shipman and Tom Curan.  I have learned that excessive compulsive gunbuilding can lead to late night drinking. 
DMR
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:24:45 PM by David Rase »

PINYONE

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 10:43:08 PM »
In my view there are quite a few- I like the guys whose work doesn't look like everybody else's. Just as a long time ago people built rifles that they were influenced by. Today Mandarino- Bivins Brennan and most of all Wallace Gusler. John Bivins told me at one time- I am a Gunstocker not a rifle builder, I said why- he anwsered- Wallace Gusler is a real rifle builder- watch the Gunsmith of Williamsburg, start to finish. Not many at that level. There are more kit builders than anything- just ask Jim Chambers and TOW. Most every rifle you see can be related to a kit. Sometimes on Track there are rifles that say Virginia and then York and they are the same Kit. Boys do your own style. The Great Pinyone

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 10:58:30 PM »
how about bob harn. my mentore Phil cravener. invaluable wealth of knowledge
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

chuck c.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 12:24:28 AM »
My vote goes to Ken Guy and Ian Pratt. They both have a lot of talent and knowledge, but most importantly they both will go out of their way to help someone who needs help.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 01:34:36 AM »
I can only go by makers work that I have seen and that's pretty limited.. However, I think EK captures a feeling in his carving that few makers do. I also am amazed by Bill Shipmans work clean work.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 03:14:06 AM »
I amend my above statement about who has been most influential and add Wallace Gusler to John Bivins and Hershel House. When you think about it, any current favorite you have was most influenced by one of these.

To the extent that they may be the basis of modern schools. Think about it.