Author Topic: Hudson Valley fowler  (Read 8309 times)

Offline Ezra

Hudson Valley fowler
« on: February 02, 2009, 07:05:47 AM »
Hey guys,

Where could one find a pattern for a Hudson Valley fowler?  Thanks.

Ez
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:06:05 AM by Ezra »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Dave B

Re: Hudson Valley fowler
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 08:13:52 AM »
We don't get them much out our way Ezra, but a copy of "Flintlock Fowlers the first guns made in America"  by Grinslade has some great photos of them. I would think one could enlarge pictures from the book to get the general architecture down. I saw one years ago I think it was at one of the shows that Mike DeAmbra had his travling collection displayed. I like those long slender barrels but You would need a step ladder to load it.  ;D
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Ezra

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 08:20:11 AM »
Hey Dave,

I am in the same neck of the woods you are, just on the East side of the state.  ;D
I just love the looks of the style.  There was one that was being raffled off at Pacific Primitive rendezvous last year.  I bought more tickets than I should have and, alas, someone else got it.  :(  I have done a search on the web and found some nice photos.  You are right though, "Flintlock Fowlers the first guns made in America" does have some nice photos that could be scaled up.  In fact, the guy who made the one that was raffled off did just that.  Thanks for the input.

Ez

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 02:50:11 PM »
    Ezra, why don't you contact one of the Honchos of the Pacific Primative rondy and see who built the the gun you took the chances on.  The likelyhood is that the builder is in your area, and he just may supply a pattern and a lot of useful information for your build.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

George F.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 04:46:33 PM »
I live in the Hudson Valley, and would like to make one in a few years. They were known for their long barrels, Today, I think the longest barrel that they can drill is 50" from Ed Rayl. Some of those fowlers exceed that by quite a few inches. But if that's the longest you can get, then that's the longest you can get. Maybe other barrel makers can offer other suggestions. The Grinslade Fowler book is really your best bet as a reference. Pictures of them with some close ups with dimensions. Some selected fowlers are in color. I was impressed as to the different types of fowlers there were. The book is cheap compared to some of the books on our reference shelf at around  $26.  ...Geo.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 05:00:59 PM »
I live in the Hudson Valley, and would like to make one in a few years. They were known for their long barrels, Today, I think the longest barrel that they can drill is 50" from Ed Rayl. Some of those fowlers exceed that by quite a few inches. But if that's the longest you can get, then that's the longest you can get. Maybe other barrel makers can offer other suggestions. The Grinslade Fowler book is really your best bet as a reference. Pictures of them with some close ups with dimensions. Some selected fowlers are in color. I was impressed as to the different types of fowlers there were. The book is cheap compared to some of the books on our reference shelf at around  $26.  ...Geo.

Longer barrels (well in excess of 50") can be had from Ben Coogle or Bobby Hoyt.  Ben would probably be the better choice for the Hudson Valley fowler though.

Ez

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »
Get your parts, get your picture books, get your paper and pencil and draw it out full size. That's what I do every time I build one.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
The other thing to remember is that no one has precut blanks for a piece that long they will have to cut one from a plank just for your project. Then wait for it to cure three years. I built a Verner with a 50" barrel and had to take 1.5" from the butt and glue it to the forend to get the wood long enough. The nose cap covered the joint. I got the blank from Freddy Harrison. He told me he wouldnt have any thing cured longer than that and would have to custom cut a blank for me that would need to be cured. I figure there are some folks out there some where with planks that would work that are cured but they are not easy to find, or at least when I was looking a few years ago.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 07:08:43 PM »
Alot of the HVF guns have recycled barrels and many of them with a "sighting plane." I think it would be neat to have one with these characteristics.
I have never seen an original with a sighting plane. I wonder if the plane is exaggerated or just a little file work.
Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 07:20:43 PM »
The only one I've ever seen with a "sighting plane" looked as if it was forged in unit with the barrel and then dressed to its final form with filework. It was a big gun with a very thick butt to balance the barrel and as I recall it was heavy as sin. But pretty.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 08:31:13 PM »
BIG guns.  Large proportions.  Bigger than you think.  Huge butts.  Big locks.  Bores don't seem overly large, though.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Ezra

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 08:45:20 PM »
BIG guns.  Large proportions.  Bigger than you think.  Huge butts.  Big locks.  Bores don't seem overly large, though.

I was under the impression they were on the large bore size.  Generally, ~10 guage and larger.  Am I mistaken?  Yes they do have big butts.  Which reminds me of a girl I once knew... ;D

Ez

George F.

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 09:13:06 PM »

Longer barrels (well in excess of 50") can be had from Ben Coogle or Bobby Hoyt.  Ben would probably be the better choice for the Hudson Valley fowler though.

Ez
By the Way, Was it Bob Hoyt that had an accident and injuried this thumb for the lack of a gorey description?

Offline Ezra

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 09:39:17 PM »

Ez
By the Way, Was it Bob Hoyt that had an accident and injuried this thumb for the lack of a gorey description?

Yup, that was Bobby.  Best we not discuss in detail...it wasn't pretty.  :o  He seems OK now though.

Ez

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »
If I remember correctly, most of them seem to be in the 12-10 gauge range (?).  That's not all that huge.  The only one I have seen in person was only about 20-16 gauge.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:43:29 PM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

keweenaw

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 10:51:35 PM »
Grinslade's book gives bores on most of them in the 12 to 10 bore range, almost none listed are bigger than 10.  The fore stocks  on many of them are spliced so splicing one isn't inappropriate and allows you to use a large standard blank.  If you're going to use one you build for waterfowl hunting, it can't be larger than 10 bore anyway without violating FWS regulations. 

Tom

Joe S

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 02:58:14 AM »
I sent a pattern to your e-mail.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 07:09:57 PM »
I got a 54" 12 ga round barrel from Ed Rayl a couple years ago and haven't built it yet.  I'm using the same lock as Joe Sharber, the TRS Dutch lock.

Mike Brooks has made a few of these and does a great job.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 07:41:54 PM »
Just getting ready to do another. I've had a 6' barrel laying around here since 1997. It's finally  in the stock, all I have to do is build it now!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?