Author Topic: J. Doherty Percussion Rifle  (Read 4388 times)

Jefferson58

J. Doherty Percussion Rifle
« on: February 02, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »
Hello:

Out of curiousity, can anyone tell me anything about a J. Doherty rifle? I ran into one for sale. It is a small, half-stock rifle that looks around .36 caliber. The stock is very fancy maple with German silver(?) decorations  / inlays including an ornate patch box. The octagon barrel is on a hinged breech with a straight tang, so there is a pronounced hump in the tang area of the stock. Double set triggers. Small back lock. This gun is very small and light and points beautifully.

I cannot find anything about this maker, and thought maybe you folks have run into these guns before.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff Bibb

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: J. Doherty Percussion Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 03:32:02 PM »
Sellers in "American Gunsmiths" records a James Doherty of Petersburg, VA as a maker  of percussion guns from 1850-1875. Sounds as if your gun fits the "making era" in which he was known to have worked. Is the barrel signed and how?
Hurricane

Jefferson58

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 04:36:42 PM »
Thanks for the post. The barrel is not "signed", but is stamped with J. Doherty. Since the gun is in central Virginia, the builder would make sense.

Thanks again for the info.

Offline Mike L

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 07:54:43 AM »
Jeff, I recently picked up a half stock with a back action lock and is 45 cal. The lock only is stamped J. Doherty. It also has some inlays but gun needs some restoration. The barrel tang goes straightback on the same plane as the barrel. The stock has the "hump" similar to rifles Benjamin Mills made. At any rate I believe that is what you are describing.

scooter

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 03:59:32 AM »
James Doherty (1810-). gunsmith. 1850-75, Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia. In 1860 he was doing business as Doherty & Evans in partnership with Daniel Evans. Doherty advertised his services in Elliott & Nye's Virginia Directory, 1852, "Gun, Pistol & Rifle Manufacturer, opposite Bollingbrook Hotel, Petersburg. Jobbing neatly and expeditiously executed."  Doherty Joseph, Bolingbroke, [1851 and 1861 Directories].

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 04:32:35 AM »
Jeff:  Gardner's "Small Arms Makers" also lists James Doherty in Petersburg, Va. between 1868-75. "At 15 Bollingbrook Street, 1873-75."  Gardner also cites "Doherty & Evans", Petersburg, Va. Post Civil War makers of half-stock percussion rifles of fine workmanship"; which Scooter's post confirms their affiliation. SC