Author Topic: First Build Complete (pic heavy)  (Read 8778 times)

Offline tlallijr

First Build Complete (pic heavy)
« on: May 08, 2014, 07:29:31 PM »
 So I had a lot of fun taking on this project, and I am quite happy with the end result. This rifle started life as a Track Of The Wolf 'Classic Golden Age' flintlock rifle kit and  ended  a "Barn Gun". Having never built a rifle before and not having any builders that I know for advise or guidance I decided to make the project as easy as possible. I used this forum to help me through the build. Though I didn't ask any specific questions here I went through every post and picked up a little info here and there to help me get it done. What a terrific resource and talented group of people here. I know some of the downfalls of my build already and don't mind any criticism to help me do a better job on the next one (which I started planning about half way through this one). Anyhow thanks for looking.  Tony

Offline tlallijr

Re: First Build Complete (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:05:15 PM »
Better view of the lock panel and trigger guard.

Archie Otto

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:15:58 PM »
Very nice work.  Does this inspire another build?

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »
Very nice work.  Does this inspire another build?

I was planning another build long before I hit the half way point with this one. Now for the long painful wait of scraping up the money and convincing my wife I need another gun to build ! This gun building hobby could easily become the demise of a good marriage......

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 09:09:29 PM »
On this build:  I like the rifle.  Very straightforward and looks to be well crafted.  Very nice finish.  Is that a Lyman trigger guard?

On the next build:  There are few hobbies a guy can pursue that provide as much entertainment per dollar as building longrifles.  Maybe $5-10 per hour, if you are fast and do not include the time spent in research and ponderin'. 

Much cheaper than cars, boats, planes, or even golf.  Unlike hanging out with your buddies at the tavern, no chance of a DUI.  And no floozies.  Or darn few.

Lots of reasons your good wife should appreciate the longrifle habit.

Larry Luck

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:28:07 PM »
Larry, Yes, that is the H.E. Leman trigger guard and ramrod pipes from track of the wolf. The trigger guard feels great to hold with the curved end kind of griping your hand. The bow is pretty big, a little smaller would be perfect. I'm glad I went with it for this rifle anyway.  I really like your break down of hours of enjoyment to money spent, it's so true.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 09:49:08 PM »
    Guns with patch box's, carving, inlays, etc; look great. But in my eyes a plan gun can be just as beautiful. Just got to love these barn guns. Great wood, color and finish.. Keep up the good work....   AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »
Hey Tony...  A nice, simple piece that comes off very nicely.  I think the lock and side panels are a little thick, and could be tapered more forward and back.  I also think a more traditional Longrifle trigger guard would have "worked" a little better....

You've done a really nice job with the stain and finish of the stock, as well as with the lock and barrel.  The amount of barrel showing above the stock looks about right, fore arm and fore end thickness looks good as well.  Again, a nice rifle, thanks for posting the photos!  I hope your wife understands your new "addiction" and you're able to dive into another build, I'd enjoy seeing more of your work.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 12:43:09 AM »
I'm going to save some time typing and say that I agree with everything Ed said!  Very nice.

kaintuck

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 02:13:21 AM »
What Ken said ditto!
Welcome to the madness..... ;D
Marc

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 04:05:13 AM »
Im a red neck of few words (cant spell em) BUT I LIKE THAT GUN. Nuff said ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline gusd

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 04:51:55 PM »
Very nice!!!
Gus

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 06:39:31 PM »
Very nice looking rifle. You have the skills it appears to handle the tougher jobs of rifle building so on the next one go for it. Enjoy your nice build.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

justAwink

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 11:00:18 PM »
Very beautiful and job well done!

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 03:25:16 PM »
I like the rifle!! and agree with what Ed said. Lock panels make a world  of difference.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

pushboater

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »
It's hard not to like a working man's gun!  Plain and simple without all the bells and whistles.  A hunters tool with one purpose.  Great job for a first rifle.  Now that you're addicted I'll be looking forward to watching your progress as you post future projects.  Have fun!

Capt. David

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »
Very fine looking gun!
I like your choice of trigger guard, make for a good cold weather gun.
A bone( antler)  tip on the ram rod would give a nice added touch.
You did real good ;D
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 06:56:44 AM »
I'll have to disagree. .  The trigger guard is way out of place. I like it and the way it looks with the rifle but it's way late and the rifle is earlier in style. A Lehigh guard might look good too. In this case a matter of time and the latter a matter of place.

THIS BEING SAID , A SUPER  RIFLE. 

baxterdavid

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 09:37:36 AM »
I like the riffle and also congratulations on completing your project . so very cool and I can not wait for your next project.

dlbarr

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 09:02:02 AM »
I love that gun - an absolute Beauty!!