Author Topic: flint adjustment  (Read 2543 times)

omark

flint adjustment
« on: May 10, 2014, 03:45:01 AM »
Not having a lot of experience with a flinter, I'm wondering how to position the flint in relation to to the frizzen. I have been putting the rock very near the frizzen when on half cock, but after cocking, then deciding not to fire, I have to open the frizzen to lower the hammer far enough to "reset" the fly. wondering if this is normal operation. If I remember right, it is  an L&R small rifle lock.   thanks in advance, mark

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

Re: flint adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 04:32:15 AM »
Mark,

Its normal to do so as you describe. To reset the fly, the hammer must drop past the half-cock position, and an upright frizzen will impede the progress of lowering the hammer.

So, the frizzen should be pushed fully forward, exposing the pan. If the frizzen is half-way between fully upright & fully forward, there is always a chance of an accidental discharge. By extending the frizzen fully forward, you put yourself in a much safer position when grabbing the hammer to lower it.

You certainly don't want to have the frizzen upright when trying to take the hammer out of the half-cock position on the tumbler.

Keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction isn't always uppermost in our minds when we're working with the lock. Obviously, when the barrel is horizontal, it presents a danger to anyone facing it.

Some folks slip a leather "boot" over the frizzen, AKA frizzen cover, to add to the safety of the shooter. The cover has a leather thong on top and is attached to the trigger-guard to keep it handy.

You're doing the right thing.

Keep 'em in the center, close together.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:40:37 AM by Buck Buchanan »
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

omark

Re: flint adjustment
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 05:07:53 AM »
thanks buck, couldnt see anything else to do but wasnt sure. thanks again, mark