Author Topic: Finished Hawken FS  (Read 9652 times)

eddillon

Finished Hawken FS
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:07:57 AM »
Finished my full stock Hawken.  Carved from blank of straight grains quarter sawn American Black Walnut.
Tried to copy the drawing on John D. Baird's book.  Old Wahkon Bay lock kit.  .58 Rice straight 1" .58 barrel.  All steel parts from ToTW except butt plate.  Old stock from the '70s Cherry Corners.  Screws, bolts and wedges fire blued.  Rest of iron rust blued w/LMF Barrel Brown Degreaser.  I find the LMF to be a very easy, forgiving process.

Open to criticism but that won't change it.  It's done!

oldarcher

Re: Finished Hawken FS
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:16:49 AM »
The rifle has great lines, nice job! One question...the trigger guard looks to be very large in proportion to the triggers, is it just the picture or is it really big?
Thanks

eddillon

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:35:41 AM »
Used a fowler trigger guard.  It is large so that the gauntleted hand of a winter mountain man can avoid the dangers of frost bite while manipulating the trigger. ;D

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 02:31:42 AM »
I like it ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

JoeG

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 03:36:14 AM »
Nice looking rifle
that breech  plug worked out good

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 03:37:30 AM »
Nice looking rifle. Early style and I like the extra room in the trigger guard for those cold days afield. The only thing I would change if I could would be to trim down the lock pannels just a tad and move the rear sight more forward for my old eyes.

mack700

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 04:11:18 AM »
Nice clean lines.  I like the large trigger guard, it helps to break up the generic Hawken look and makes it unique.

eddillon

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 04:30:41 AM »
Nice looking rifle
that breech  plug worked out good

Worked out perfectly!  Thanks, Joe
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:31:10 AM by aka california eddillon »

eddillon

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 04:40:16 AM »
Nice looking rifle. Early style and I like the extra room in the trigger guard for those cold days afield. The only thing I would change if I could would be to trim down the lock pannels just a tad and move the rear sight more forward for my old eyes.

Must be the old eyes.  The panel is absolutely parallel rear to front.  Edge seems to fade in the picture.  I can see that now (old tired eyes also).

d-a

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 06:36:53 AM »

Must be the old eyes.  The panel is absolutely parallel rear to front.  Edge seems to fade in the picture.  I can see that now (old tired eyes also).

I think he was talking about the actual size of the lock panel. Something along the lines of making it the same distance from the lock to the bottom of the panel all the way around the lock. Essentially a smaller lock panel.

I like it a lot, and only thing I would do is to fire blue the screws and spring pin in the lock. I hope my Hawken looks half as good as yours does when I get finished.

d-a

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 12:54:18 PM »
Looks great Ed. Really nice tight work. I'm not familiar with the full stock architecture, so I can't help on that.

Am I reading that right, that it is a one inch barrel?   If so, what does the gun weigh?

kaintuck

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 01:46:11 PM »
I think you captured the look...! ;D

Those type of buttplate  scan lead a man to drink trying to fit the!!,

No comments from me,,,,I think it's 'spot on' ;)
Marc

eddillon

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »
Looks great Ed. Really nice tight work. I'm not familiar with the full stock architecture, so I can't help on that.

Am I reading that right, that it is a one inch barrel?   If so, what does the gun weigh?

Weighs in at 9 lbs. 4 oz.

greybeard

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 06:57:48 PM »
I like the gun and your workmanship. It appears to me that it has quite a lot of negative pitch. Leads me to believe that it will really hurt with a good hunting load of say 100 to 125 grains.
     When you shoot it let us know how the recoil is?? And the accuracy is.
              Bob

dlbarr

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 08:41:20 AM »
Very nice Ed! I may be missing the obvious, but what finish did you use on the wood?

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 12:00:18 AM »
That's a nice lookin shooter, real nice!

eddillon

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 12:04:44 AM »
Very nice Ed! I may be missing the obvious, but what finish did you use on the wood?
Two coats of General Finishes Seal-A-Cell Walnut.  Back down to wood w/#320.  Several hand rubbed coats of TOTW Antique finish.

JoeG

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 01:36:50 AM »
Have you had a chance to shoot it yet ?

eddillon

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 03:35:22 AM »
Have you had a chance to shoot it yet ?

Not yet.  Busy building a Joh Schreit!  ;D

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »
Hi Ed,
Very nice Hawken.  Years ago I did the same thing using Baird's book.  Mine was flint and a gift to a friend.  It eventually killed a lot of elk.  I like your choice of the fowler triggerguard.  Very nice rifle indeed.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."