Author Topic: "Accouterment" Box  (Read 17058 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
"Accouterment" Box
« on: May 10, 2014, 11:24:06 PM »
Would very much appreciate anyone"s "honest" comments. Unusual. Another alleged to be labeled as such in Winterthur? The hole in the " Tombstone" section was for "grease?

b9539543.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:27:18 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

chubby

Re: "Accouterment" Box
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 02:42:33 AM »
My great aunt had a rectangular box like that the lid would open on a hinge it was very old she stored her incense in it and would stand one in the hole and light it. when i saw your box i could smell it again from fifty years ago!! thanks oh! IJMO on it  Chubby

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 06:24:46 AM »
What size is the hole? Could it hold a candle?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »
What are the dimensions of the box?  It doesn't look like there is any sign that grease had ever been in the hole.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 05:20:25 PM »
If I saw that in an antique shop,  I would think candle box.  That is,  if it were long enough inside for candles; 10-12".

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 05:31:01 PM »
If I owned that, I would shine it all up, and put my very best balls in it, and show em to my grand kids, you know sometimes when you are casting you get some that just shine.

OR!

Put my Caps in it.

Nice box

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 06:07:06 PM »
Hard to say what it was for but it shows the influence of a wooden patchbox and it is spectacular. I'm envious. I may have to make a similar one.

steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 08:26:45 PM »
I cannot tell if that box was a solid piece of wood that was carved out or panels? cannot see any joinery, please elaborate, very nice craftsmanship for sure!

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 08:58:04 PM »
Can you please put a ruler next to it or maybe even dimensions.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 10:15:45 PM »
My guess (never afraid to be wrong!) would be some sort of traveling candle box with the hole serving as a candle holder.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 10:26:21 PM »
I agree Dennis.  It doesn't seem to show a lot of wear. I would have speculated sort of a traveling bedside light.

Steve
Steve Skillman

• Library_mod
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 04:05:51 AM »
Will be happy to answer all questions with box in hand. You can guess at cavity size in that I know it to be 13" long, 3.75 wide and 3.25 high. Short for a 10 or 12 inch candle. Looks as if cavity size in 8-9 inches long. Always a guess when you have a unique item Ceratainly the carving equal to some of that of the better gunsmith and the latching mechaism similar to that of a sliding patchbox door. Wish I knew??? As always there is a story. Anyone seen anything similar??? My first thought also a candle box but have never seen anything similar;a solid box, so artisically decorated with inlaid bone and relief carved , perhaps by a cabinet maker???.

Hurricane
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:41:30 AM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 05:26:51 AM »
Will be happy to answer all questions with box in hand. You can guess at cavity size in that I know it to be 13" long, 3.75 wide and 3.25 high. Short for a 10 or 12 inch candle. Looks as if cavity size in 8-9 inches long. Always a guess when you have a unique item Ceratainly the carving equal to some of that of the better gunsmith and the latching mechaism similar to that of a sliding patchbox door. Wish I knew??? As always there is a story. Anyone seen anything similar??? My first thought also a candle box but have never seen anything similar;a solid box, so artisically decorated with inlaid bone and relief carved , perhaps by a cabinet maker???.

Hurricane

Just so I'm clear, this is a solid box? no joinery at all?, thanks, Beav

• Library_mod
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 06:19:35 AM »
Solid box...no joints. How about the "hole" being the container for "caps"???
Hurricane
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:53:44 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »
Caps? CAPS? Why on Earth would one think caps?

On candles, why would it need to be long enough for modern commercial candles? Was candle length standardized in the past? We don't even have a date on this box, do we? Any info on where this was found, or better yet, made?

Interesting puzzle. Nice craftsmanship.

• Library_mod
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 04:59:43 PM »
Caps: I am not a shooter. WOould not you separate the small items from larger one. If not caps, perhaps patches. When I get it , I will look into the bottom of the hole and see what is there. Candles would be fine too.

Offline bigbat

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 05:04:54 PM »
years ago at Friendship, during one of the evening occurrences Dick Miller and Jim Hash (members of the Do little Club)   Had just such a thing,  They called it the "Insta Box"  It was a pre carved box like that (unfinished of course)  and all you had to do was inlet it.  It was a hilarious skip performed by those two.  After Miller sold his idea of the pre carved box Jim pulled a "Pre drilled grease hole"  out of a walmart bag and said heres even one better! A pre drilled grease hole all you have to do is inlet it!

Both of those guys were very funny men.  Jim Hash recently died.  I had this all on video tape but lent it out and never got it back

Offline Kermit

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 05:07:26 PM »
I guess I'm missing something. Is there a reason to think this box has anything to do with containing shooting supplies or parts? Maybe I missed something? It's been known to happen to me...

• Library_mod
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 05:59:02 PM »
Kermit, your answer is "No" but what is it for? It was similar I am told to one in Winterthur that was labeled as such ( Accoutrement Box)  and with "imagination" one could associate the locking mechanism with a sliding  patch box cover release...perhaps the only association other than appreciation for its "artistic meirt" and my fantasy. On the other hand, respectfully offered, Guthman once said "prove it is not."
Hurricane

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 06:38:30 PM »
Hurricane

No matter what it is,the reality is that it's a wonderful piece and I appreciate you sharing it.

THANKS!!!!

Mitch

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 07:07:05 PM »
years ago at Friendship, during one of the evening occurrences Dick Miller and Jim Hash (members of the Do little Club)   Had just such a thing,  They called it the "Insta Box"  It was a pre carved box like that (unfinished of course)  and all you had to do was inlet it.  It was a hilarious skip performed by those two.  After Miller sold his idea of the pre carved box Jim pulled a "Pre drilled grease hole"  out of a walmart bag and said heres even one better! A pre drilled grease hole all you have to do is inlet it!

Both of those guys were very funny men.  Jim Hash recently died.  I had this all on video tape but lent it out and never got it back

The Insta-Box was the first thing I thought of when I saw this ;D

Vomitus

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »
    Could this be a joke played on us from the "other side"? Ha!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 09:43:40 PM »
Caps? CAPS? Why on Earth would one think caps?

Well, the same guy said he'd put his balls in it too,,,,,, just sayin,,,,  :)

John
John Robbins

Offline bigbat

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 10:10:01 PM »
james, do you have a tape with the Insta box skit on it?  I would put it on a cd for you if you do.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 05:42:18 AM »
Actually candles were standardized by the existence of manufactured candle molds.   Most of them seem to be around 12 inches.   I have a repro candle mold that is supposed to produce 12" candles.   A lot of the candles break coming out leaving me with a lot of 6" candles.  ;)