Author Topic: lefty locks  (Read 5776 times)

Scott Semmel

lefty locks
« on: February 02, 2009, 06:03:14 PM »
A few years ago I was convinced that I needed a left hand lock, now Im less sure that it makes a big difference. After making a half dozen guns with lefty locks my thoughts are, other than protecting my right arm from powder burns if I forget to keep it out of the way of the touch hole there isn’t a whole big bunch of difference to the shooter. I was wondering how other folks feel or what they think about the need for having lefty locks.

Daryl

Re: lefty locks
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:25:08 PM »
Talking about a left lock on a  right hand gun, I see.  Never gave it much thought before - could be less flash to see, might even reduce many guy's tendencies towards "shrinking from the manifestation of the charge".

northmn

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:29:44 PM »
It isn't just the lock, its the whole gun that makes a difference.  I build left handed guns for myself because I like the cheek piece on the correct side and I put in a bit of castoff.  In a fowler it doesn't matter as they do not have these features and are more sellable in right hand.  I shot a Brown Bess left handed with no problem and feel that if a Bess can be shot lefthanded any right handed gun can be.  As to safety, you likely should wear glasses shooting any flintlock and to h__l with originality.  

DP

BrownBear

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »
I shot a righty flinter many years ago, and a great big chard of flint came flying back and bedded in my face just below my right eye.  Deep enough it was a dickens to get out.  Big enough I probably should have had a couple of stitches.  It would easily have taken out my eye if it had hit about half an inch higher.  Haven't shot a righty since, glasses or not.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 03:23:51 AM »
A few years ago I was convinced that I needed a left hand lock, now Im less sure that it makes a big difference. After making a half dozen guns with lefty locks my thoughts are, other than protecting my right arm from powder burns if I forget to keep it out of the way of the touch hole there isn’t a whole big bunch of difference to the shooter. I was wondering how other folks feel or what they think about the need for having lefty locks.
Scotty:  You do shoot righty 'donja'??  I'm confused 'nothing new'; but how do you burn your arm (any of them) via the touch hole  ??? Offhand.

Keeping the flash away from your eye via having the lock on opposite side of the stock from your face should be the way!! :)

Steve-In

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 04:16:43 AM »
I am left handed and very much prefer left handed guns.  I don't like shooting right handed caplocks.  However on my doubles I find myself cocking and using the right barrel on game more than the left.  Future guns I build for me will be left handed.

Dave Faletti

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:08:00 AM »
I shoot left handed and won't own a right handed rifle.  There are enough locks to make most of what I want.  Left percusion breeches are another matter.  A well designed percusion lock should keep fragments and such from coming back.  A flint is a bit more of an issue.  I could live with a right handed gun but why when I can make a nice correctly built lefty.  I do like the flint&prime or cap hiding on the other side of the stock.  I don't use shooting glasses out hunting.

Scott Semmel

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 06:52:03 AM »
Roger- that’s part of my thought, off hand the touchhole exhaust is not a problem, on a bench if your not paying attention you can get a puff of the exhaust but it’s far from a catastrophe. I shoot left handed, do everything else righty.
Off topic Roger I did the Lasik thing and can now see the front sight again. I’m still a crappy shot but now that I can see sights and target I’ll try to get to some of the Bowmanstown shoots
Steve and Dave- I agree that there is no need not to have lefty gun if you shoot lefty I have six .40, .45, .50, two .54s and a .58.  When I started with a flintlock I shot a right handed TC for a decade before getting my first left handed gun. Back then I used cut flints maybe that’s why I never experienced any problem with flint debris.
And I guess that’s my question, sans the flint debris thing, do you think the fireworks on the left or the right side of the barrel make much of a difference in your ability to shoot accurately or increase flinch?
I’m contemplating a .36 and was thinking if I make it a righty it has less of a chance oft being a white elephant at the estate sale.

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 07:25:32 AM »
"I’m contemplating a .36 and was thinking if I make it a righty it has less of a chance oft being a white elephant at the estate sale."
Approximately 10% of the world is left handed- tell your next-of-kin to advertise that a left-handed flint longrifle will be part of the sale. Somebody will buy it. :)

I put up with too much right-handed stuff to build and shoot right-handed guns.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 05:11:26 PM »
Don't know much about rightys shooting lefties but as a leftie I've shot both flint and percussion in the right hand configuration. Percussion didn't bother me but the flint did. Went a long way towards starting a flinch.
Now all I'll shoot in flint is a lefthanded lock. It's what's right and I remember far enough back to remember when we had no choice. Everything was right hand.
Now that I've got a choice I shoot what's right.
3 LH bolt actions. (centerfire)
3 LH flint rifles.
2 LH bows.

I'm starting to plan my next rifle. Little doubt but that it will wear a LH Siler lock.
American horses of Arabian descent.

northmn

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 06:50:07 PM »
Another small issue of shooting a left hand lock is that of cocking the thing out in the field.  The lock is on the correct side for easy manipulation.  A small thing but then many original double shotguns were popular in smaller gauges because the off lock was easier to reach.  I build lefthand guns and have sold a few.  There were a few folks that liked them.  I am not left handed but have a left master eye.  It was much easier to switch to left than mess with the other "cures"  At one time some very crooked stocks were made for people shooting right handed but using the left eye.  Double shotguns with tang safety's work great.  Also a double trigger side by side to me is made backwards for right hander as I do not have to put my finger between triggers.

DP

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 02:28:45 PM »
My friend who is left handed was shooting his right hand flint rifle one day off a bench in the summer.  Of course he had short sleeves and on one shot , he forgot where he placed his right arm on the bench .  As the rifle went off, he received a heck of a burn from the touch hole flast on the inner aspect of his right forearm.  I saw pictures of his arm and it looked like there were small black granules embedded in the skin.  He ended up with an infection in the arm which in turn landed him in the hospital.  I don't think he has fired a right handed flint since then!