Author Topic: Powder horn  (Read 8799 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Powder horn
« on: May 13, 2014, 05:30:33 AM »
The owner ask that I post it for comment. Obviously beautiful and well done, the question he wishes to know is whether it is period or contemporary?
Thanks for your honest comments.
Hurricane

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:31:12 AM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: Powder horn
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 02:49:16 PM »
Contemporary...that's my thought anyway.
tca
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:12:28 PM »
Contemporary.  The family theme, color and lack of flaking in the scrim.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline bigbat

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
very nice, beautiful work. A real treasure

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 04:33:27 PM »
phew, I am glad someone else said it first, but my immediate thought was contemporary also. The poly-Chrome just doesn't look right for an antique. but then again, I don't know much.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline louieparker

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 04:37:11 PM »
I have seen another horn very similar. At first I thought it was the same horn.. But it was  five to six inches across the big end and far too short for the diameter.. I couldn't figure out if it was horn or some sort of plastic. But I strongly suspected
plastic, as I couldn't imagine that coming off an animal..  I agree with the other post new made.

R.Baitinger

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 06:15:03 PM »
  The powder horn is 26" on the long side and 21" on the short side , the base is 7 1/2" in dia. the circumference is 24" around the base.
The wood base end is 3 1/2" and is threaded in to the base. The nose piece is also threaded into the horn. The horn is really very large
and the pictures don't do it justice as far as size. The horn is not plastic it is horn. About ten years ago some moths started to attach it
so it was kept in a box with mothballs. It was around the Princeton Gun show for about 22 years and nobody could make up their minds
if it was a good horn and if it was worth the money. It is a real beauty and has always given me a good feeling since the first time that I
saw it. It was called a camp horn and the Van Valkenburg family settled in 1644 in New York on Manhattan Island.
                                                                                                                                          R. Baitinger

Offline bigbat

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 06:18:23 PM »
I think it is an interesting piece of art, I would have to see it in person to make a call on it.  It is a nice piece of art work

brooktrout

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 02:06:51 AM »
I'm thinking a replica but not a recent one...that it was made much much  later than the period it reflects.  I cannot recall ever seeing a horn with those colors and vivid colors at that.  You would not think bugs would get to an "old" horn, but they will.  A mystery maybe never to be solved but a real nice horn. 

Offline trentOH

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 04:40:24 AM »
A horn that big could serve to hold a person's cremated remains!

rooster

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »
my  limited knowledge says  new as well.no scratches or nicks on the body

Vomitus

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 03:34:57 AM »
   I'm with Scott. What a gorgeous horn!

Offline Carl Dumke

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 03:43:26 PM »
Very cool horn.  Love the folk art and may copy the design on a horn I am working on.  In close examination it is more of a painted poly-chrome horn vs the typical engraved poly-chrome.  If you look at the colored areas, there are no visible cut lines for the inking--especially with the muliple colores on the inside of the heart.  I have used this technique before to add more shading on an engraved poly horn. 
Carl

R.Baitinger

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 05:19:53 AM »
In trying to find what animal this horn came off of I tried Google looking for oxen, I
came up with Aurochs (Bos primigenius) ,the ancestor of domestic cattle,is an extinct
type of large wild cattle that inhabited Europe,Asia and North Africa.The species survived
 in Europe until the last recorded aurochs died in the Jaktorow Forest, Poland in 1627.
By the 13th century, aurochs existed only in small numbers in Eastern Europe, and the
hunting of aurochs became a privlege of nobles, and later royal households. They were
not saved from extinction.The aurochs was one of the largest herbivores in postglacial
Europe. The estimated weight of a bull was 3,300  pounds. Aurochs horns could reach
31 inches in length with a base diameter of 7.9 inches. If anyone is interested there are
28 pages on this animal under oxen giving all kinds of information on Google.

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 05:07:35 AM »
Very nice. Looks like fraktur art. Looks like it has a pennsylvania dutch theme to it. But Pittsylvania County is a county located in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Pittsylvania Township I'm not sure where it's at.

But I could be wrong. Pretty though.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 05:15:00 AM by Kopfjaeger »
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "