Author Topic: Trade gun buttplate  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Pete G.

Trade gun buttplate
« on: May 13, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »
Having never built one of these things before, I am in a quandary about what to do with a nailed on buttplate. I obviously don't want to leave bare wood underneath, but I also want to contour the stock and buttplate together.

What exactly is the procedure for this?

Offline Jackie Brown

Re: Trade gun buttplate
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:02:20 PM »
I use small screws to hold the buttplate on while shaping.  Then when the finishing is done, you can nail it on.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
I cut 'em out of 1/16" stock &  leave flat, inlet top return, hold with small screws.  Hammer around the curve with a soft hammer, fit to stock bottom more screws until satisfied with fit.  Seal butt with wood sealer & Take some 8d nails 1" long clamp in vise and massage the heads to look forged out....Tom

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 08:06:22 PM »
I obviously don't want to leave bare wood underneath
Why is that "obvious."  This sealing of the wood seems to be a modern thing.  If you really feel the need, just wrap masking tape around the end of the butt, put your sealer on, nail the buttplate on, and file everything in together.  Make sure you pre-drill your nail holes both in the plate and the wood.  Angle the holes slightly toward the center of the wood instead of straight down.  Less chance of splitting that way.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 11:40:24 PM »
I obviously don't want to leave bare wood underneath
Why is that "obvious."  This sealing of the wood seems to be a modern thing.  If you really feel the need, just wrap masking tape around the end of the butt, put your sealer on, nail the buttplate on, and file everything in together.  Make sure you pre-drill your nail holes both in the plate and the wood.  Angle the holes slightly toward the center of the wood instead of straight down.  Less chance of splitting that way.

Well, it seemed obvious to me anyway, but what do I know? I am one of those modern guys.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 12:22:32 AM »
I don't seal under trade gun buttplates.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?