Author Topic: Fitting double set triggers  (Read 6896 times)

Offline Curt Larsen

Fitting double set triggers
« on: May 13, 2014, 04:40:50 PM »
I'm building a southern rifle with a 13/16th barrel and Davis late Ketland type lock.  This will be a pretty slim rifle.  My problem is mating the double set trigger bar with the sear.  It is a close fit.  If I tighten the tang screw too tight, it engages the sear so that the trigger can't be set.  Is there a good way to remedy this?  Can I take a little off the sear to provide some gap and lack of potential contact?  Is there a better way?  Thanks,
Curt

Offline Ted Kramer

Re: Fitting double set triggers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 05:27:57 PM »
Curt-
You can file/grind a bit off the tops of the trigger(s) so that they let the sear drop into the half cock and full cock notches. Go slowly so as not to remove any more than needed. You should be able to set the triggers and cock the lock in any sequence. I'd not take any metal  from the sear. If adjusting on the triggers doesn't fix things, then you can anneal the sear and bend the rear portion upward some, then re-harden.
Ted

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 08:45:15 PM »
I would do as Ted sugessted first to try to get the clearance. If you get down to where the the trigger bars are getting to thin then you can use a bench grinder to take a little off the bottom of the sear arm. Remember "JUST A LITTLE" not half the thickness. Go slow on the bench grinder so as not to over heat the sear arm. As a last resort, heat and bend the sear arm only. You have to bend when the sear arm is at least at a orange heat. If you don't you risk breaking the sear. After the heat and bend the sear may be very hard, if air hardening steel was used. You may have to temper the sear after heating to keep it from breaking when the trigger hits it. ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »
sure would be nice if wood could be made invisable to get these things set!

file three strokes at a time...then try again!
slowly..... ;D
marc

greybeard

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:22:25 PM »
As can be seen in the pic the trigger bar has been relieved at the contact point with the sear. You can also relieve the bearing end of the main spring that will allow the trigger bar to sit a bit lower. Hope this is of some use to you.
     Bob

« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 12:12:03 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:06:34 PM »
Thanks guys.  This helps a lot.
Curt

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 01:21:07 AM »
Most southern mountain rifles I have, or have seen, don't have a fly in the tumbler. These guns were made to cock the set trigger before you cocked the hammer, all had half cocks. Dennis has seen  many more southern riles than I will ever see. Maybe he could ad something here. He could prove me wrong.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 01:41:56 AM »
I'm building a southern rifle with a 13/16th barrel and Davis late Ketland type lock.  This will be a pretty slim rifle.  My problem is mating the double set trigger bar with the sear.  It is a close fit.  If I tighten the tang screw too tight, it engages the sear so that the trigger can't be set.  Is there a good way to remedy this?  Can I take a little off the sear to provide some gap and lack of potential contact?  Is there a better way?  Thanks,
Curt
Curt,
I have only built one rifle using that lock and I don't remember having that problem but I have had it several times using Chambers late Ketland with the small Davis double set triggers. Here are a few things I have done, sometimes all of them on the same gun!

Check the curvature of the trigger plate, if its sitting too deep in the center it will cause the problem you mention. If so disassemble the trigger and bend the plate to better conform with the belly of your stock. On one rifle I had to bend the plate away from the sear (more gap between top of bars and the sear) then file the plate thinner at each end (I think I had put shims under the plate) to get back flush with the belly.

You can take quite a bit off the top of the trigger bars, just try the triggers often to keep from taking too much off. Then as others mentioned you can take a little off the bottom of the sear.

Good luck,
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 01:50:09 AM »
Having to set the trigger before cocking the rifle is why I do not use a single set trigger. I like my set  triggers set very light, not unsafe but very light. You have to be able to tell the difference. I cannot imagine deer hunting and having to set the trigger then cock the lock without a deer hearing you. I surely can't imagine setting there with a cocked rifle with the trigger set on a cold morning waiting for a deer to come along. Accident looking for a place to happen.

I would just as soon have a simple trigger. I can achive a very nice pull with proper sear to trigger alignment and a good lock polishing and tuning. Much safer.

But I do agree that most of the good old southern mountain type rifles had this type of single set trigger. I have to build or I should say that I have the pleasure of building a rifle in the Bean style and thankfully the rifle I am using for a pattern has double set triggers.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline EC121

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 07:51:50 AM »
Drill the plate under the mainspring and tap it for a set screw.  This will raise the spring a little and let the bar drop.  Or shim the spring under the high arched part until it lets the bar down to where you want it.  It will still throw the trigger bar hard enough to trip the sear.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:00:32 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

ironwolf

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »
  you could also bend the sear arm somewhat.

K