Author Topic: Henry Ledford Rifle  (Read 8011 times)

gsbvpepsint

Henry Ledford Rifle
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:02:28 PM »
Greetings to all.

I am a new member and new to collecting American long rifles. I am following a rifle now on auction that is advertised to have been made by Henry Ledford of NC. My online research of H Ledford, his rifles and style suggests that this rifle is original and not messed with. The brass trigger guard, set triggers and rod fittings look perfect. But the stock itself does not seem as ornate as some I have seen in pictures. By that I mean it does not have a fancy patch box or scrolling. But it does have the high raised cheek pad and deep curved butt. So I am a little confused. I guess the question I have is did Ledford offer different grades of stocks plain vs fancy?

Thanks for any help folks can provide.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Henry Ledford Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:32:31 PM »
I can't speak to Ledford, but the vast majority did offer plain and fancy rifles.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:00:47 PM »
Welcome: Pictures will help. There are experts on this forum on NC rifles. Beware I once owned one that had a signed Ledford barrel with a "added patchbox", the purchaser was made aware of this probability when I sold it...doubtful that it still caries that declaration.
Contact Michael Briggs . You can find his email in the North Carolina section of the ALR Library/ Museum...many of his guns and much of his research is contained their. The also is a fine new book devoted to North Carolina gunmakers by William Ivey that can likely be bought on the internet. If you buy it we woould love to consider adding it to the ALR Library.
Hurricane
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:03:10 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline Mark Tyler

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 11:30:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
I'd suggest doing more research and looking at pictures of rifles before you decide to purchase one.
In particular, if you're considering the one on Gunbroker, I'd save my money...
As mentioned, there's plenty of guys here to answer questions, just ask.
John
John Robbins

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 03:50:49 AM »
John is correct.  I would not purchase that rifle at any price.  There are many good examples of Henry Ledford's work.  I would advise you to wait and invest in a good one at a higher price.

Michael Briggs
C. Michael Briggs

gsbvpepsint

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »
Thank you everyone for your responses. They were all very helpful. 

gsbvpepsint

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »
John is correct.  I would not purchase that rifle at any price.  There are many good examples of Henry Ledford's work.  I would advise you to wait and invest in a good one at a higher price.

Michael Briggs

As a matte of fact that is the Ledford rifle I am watching. An old friend who collects 19th century rifles steered me to it. He told me that he has known of this rifle for 30-40 years and that it came out of another collectors estate. He told me it wasn't perfect but it was honest. Is he wrong?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:59:45 PM by gsbvpepsint »

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »
He told me it wasn't perfect but it was honest. Is he wrong?

Thank you.
Other than the replaced wood above the lock (not very well done) it looks original to me. Its not a collector piece but I would think its a decent gun if you wish to own an original muzzleloader at a reasonable price.

Opps, forgot to add that the rear spur of the trigger guard looks to me to have been cutoff, if not its the first time I have seen a trigger guard like that ;)
Dennis
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 08:21:45 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

gsbvpepsint

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 08:24:32 PM »
He told me it wasn't perfect but it was honest. Is he wrong?

Thank you.
Other than the replaced wood above the lock (not very well done) it looks original to me. Its not a collector piece but I would think its a decent gun if you wish to own an original muzzleloader at a reasonable price.
Dennis

Dennis isn't the wood replaced because it was converted from flint to percussion? That's what it looks like to me and what my friend said. Any idea how much that effects value? Eye of the beholder I guess.

Thank you.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »
THIS GUN NEVER WAS FLINT!...NO WAY.......If the seller thinks that he needs to do his homework.....Ed
Ed Hamberg

gsbvpepsint

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »
Ed,

I am here to learn and just going on what my friend told me about it. He isn't selling it and doesn't know the seller. He just spoke highly about the rifle. Maybe he's wrong. I will try to do more research.

Thank you.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 11:04:27 PM »
True this rifle was NEVER flint.  If you need a mentor to help you with longrifles, you can likely
find one on this forum.   Keep looking if you want one made by Ledford.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:05:39 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

olsonphoto

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 09:08:37 AM »
Greetings:

I'm a total novice to the black powder arena, but am interested in purchasing a Henry Ledford rifle.  Any information would be greatly appreciated, as I am most certain that he is a 4th great grandfather of mine.

Regards,
Ken Olson

Offline wormey

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 03:09:23 AM »
Check your private messages.  I may be able to help.  Wormey