Author Topic: graver bit question  (Read 5735 times)

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
graver bit question
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:27:37 AM »
i want to add a handle to a graver bit, i have an aluminum x-acto handle, and i was thinking about just drilling the blade clamp, and cutting off about an inch and a bit off from my 6 inch graver, the questions are, is it wise to do this? second the metal seems to change about halfway up the graver i have now, of course it is also tapered from there and i suspect that it is just a differential temper... so should i leave it long, or make 2 or three bits out of my long graver to use in my aluminum handle? thanks alot everyone, Zack

p.s. i intend to use this with a hammer rather than as a push graver
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: graver bit question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:32:54 AM »
I like a 5/16 or 3/8 diam alum handle for hammering. It seems to transmit the energy very efficiently.

I wouls drill a hole in the handle, and then grind the graver to fit. You only need enough sticking out to cut with, maybe an inch, to leave room for future sharpenings.

Need gravers? Going to Lewisburg?

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:46:16 AM »
  I just use hard maple.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:50:16 AM »
The gravers that Mark Silver supplied for his engraving class at Bowling Green had wood handles.  I think they were maple but do not remember because I brought my own which is definitely hard maple.  Never having used anything else, I do not know if something else (aluminum) is better.  I do like the idea of using some of my stock off cuts for tool handles.

Bruce

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 02:11:00 AM »
I have advocated using Xacto handles in the past.  I have 3/32" graver blanks and I drilled out the collet of the Xacto handle so that the graver bit fits all the way down to the base of it, and is firmly held in place when the collar is screwed down tightly.

For me this provides just the right length in a very solid, light weight handle.  It also allows quick removal for changing bits or sharpening of the bit, which for me is with the Lindsey sharpening system.

I have used several other types of handles prior to this, but for hammer and chisel engraving I find this setup hard to beat, though other types certainly work well also. 

Oh, and you can find generic Xacto knives dirt-cheap all over the place.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:16:24 AM by Jeff Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

brokenflint

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:17:41 AM »
Zack    the seam line you see is material change, the tool steel up front and mild steel welded on to make up the length.

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:42:07 AM »
yeah i am planning on being there saturday for the day, and i would like to play around with different gravers, its a skill i would like to work on, always been intrigued but it doesnt seem like something very easily self taught, Tom if you have some tools and time you wouldnt mind donating i would be most appreciative. thank you everyone for your help, hope to see you all at lewisburg

Be Prepared

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 03:21:27 AM »
i want to add a handle to a graver bit, i have an aluminum x-acto handle, and i was thinking about just drilling the blade clamp, and cutting off about an inch and a bit off from my 6 inch graver, the questions are, is it wise to do this? second the metal seems to change about halfway up the graver i have now, of course it is also tapered from there and i suspect that it is just a differential temper... so should i leave it long, or make 2 or three bits out of my long graver to use in my aluminum handle? thanks alot everyone, Zack

p.s. i intend to use this with a hammer rather than as a push graver

I have done wood and metal. Metal seems to work good for heavy work.
I made a couple or wood handles similar to what is in Lynton MacKenzie's video and like them for the long gravers from Brownell's.
The skinny metal handles, I have one or 2 of 5/16" stainless. Work good with short gravers. But I am a long way from an authority on engraving.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 04:10:30 AM »
I have found the aluminum to be the most responsive and sturdy at the same time. The graver responds to the lightest tap, yet receives the heaviest blow without complaint. I like metal to metal for direct cutting action. Energy seems to get lost when using wood handles in my shop.

Tom

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 04:34:40 AM »
Tom, ill try to remember to bring the graver and handle i have to show you to see what you think, but i really like the idea of an aluminum handle, always seemed to transfer energy real well for me with other things i figured it would be worth a try for engraving, just makes me a little nervose chopping the end off of a longer piece of graver
, zack

Be Prepared

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 05:10:36 AM »
After grinding your first graver down, the next one will be easier. They are only tools. Change them to suit your style. A tool is just an extension of your mind. Put your tools to work for you.

Oh, man, that's heavy.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 05:17:42 AM »
Zack,

You can get graver blanks from Lindsey that are useable length as they come.  He sells HSS,
Carbalt, and some other alloy I can't recall.

jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell