Author Topic: Moderators how 'bout a new board name?  (Read 6297 times)

Offline WKevinD

Moderators how 'bout a new board name?
« on: May 22, 2014, 09:15:07 PM »
Seriously how does a new board get started?

Shooters looking for local shooters - builders looking for local builders?

I keep seeing requests for connections and I'm in the same boat I live in North East PA/ Southern Tier NY and know no one locally that shoots or builds flints.

Dont really want a "match.com" but a way to make some connections.

Thoughts?
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hefner

Re: Moderators how 'bout a new board name?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 04:46:58 PM »
I wonder why most people on this forum do not include at least the state or region they live in on their personal profile that is available for any member to view.  Sometimes it may be nice to actually meet or shoot with ALR members if you happen to live near each other.  I happened to live near Dixon's two years ago and the only way to meet ALR members was to hang out at the ALR tent where I met Long John who was very friendly and knowledgeable.  I have no idea if any ALR members live near me here in Granger, IN.

jamesthomas

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 05:30:05 PM »
 I'm with you Burnt, I just checked 6 or 7 profiles of some long time members and they have NA in the location box. I reckon they are wanted by the law  ;D. I'm in Grand Bay, Ala. myself. about 7 miles from a members only shooting range, which is nice. I'll be burning some powder myself about 11:00am myself. It sure is fun shooting a .40 cal. than getting beat up by my .50. For some reason as I've gotten older the recoil has become not so fun anymore. So come on folks alter your profiles so folks know where you live. You can say yes or no to a request to go shooting with someone.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:30:56 PM by james e »

Offline J Henry

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 05:38:55 PM »
 There was a a section over on Muzzle loader Mag that had all the BP clubs by State.When it was bought out ,that part was not transfered with the new owners,,don't know why.Might check on it,,nice to have...

Offline ehoff

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 06:21:36 PM »
I may be able to throw you some help. One thing that can help you find fellow shooters would be to join the Pennsylvania Federation of Black Powder Shooters (pfbps.com) The Federation book list all the black powder clubs and their shoot dates for the entire state.  

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »

Shooters looking for local shooters - builders looking for local builders?

I keep seeing requests for connections and I'm in the same boat I live in North East PA/ Southern Tier NY and know no one locally that shoots or builds flints.

Thoughts?

Open to new ideas but not sure that folks who are NOT looking for info or connections would frequent such a forum.  So those looking for connections might just be talking amongst themselves?
Andover, Vermont

jamesthomas

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 07:56:20 PM »
 The problem is not  about clubs but of individuals, there could be 3 or 4 folks that shoot blackpowder, but because of different shoot times, IE, when you go shooting may not be the time 2 or 3 other folks go shooting. I know of only 2 other black powder shooters near me but because of work, etc., we don't see each other at the range very often.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:57:25 PM by james e »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 08:54:18 PM »

Thoughts?

Start one, don't wait for someone else to do it. There are all kinds of free sites that allow you to have free forums and blogs. Here is the first two that I saw while doing a Google search: http://www.moreforum.com/ and http://www.getforum.org/

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 09:24:06 PM »
Every month,Muzzle Blasts has the listings state by state for muzzle loading clubs.
Also contact info for representatives of the NMLRA.

Bob Roller

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 09:32:11 PM »
Every month,Muzzle Blasts has the listings state by state for muzzle loading clubs.
Also contact info for representatives of the NMLRA.

Bob Roller

Bob, you just beat me to it as I was preparing a response, but here it is anyway.

Members of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association can check their monthly magazine, Muzzle Blasts to help connect with other BP shooters.  Each month the magazine lists either all the shoots of every NMLRA in the country, by state, with contact information or all their Field Representatives by state with contact information. 

If you go to one of the shoots in your area you'll meet other BP shooters and can probably arrange to get together with some of them and shoot informally.  Most shoot more often than just at a monthly club match. 

Contacting the nearest NMLRA Field Rep is another way to meet other BP shooters in your area.  Most of us are more than willing to hook up with other shooters and get them shooting with us whether they are NMLRA members or not.  If you're not a NMLRA member, check it out at nmlra.org.
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

BobBean

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 01:47:02 AM »
There are many forums that have a regional info section.  I live in Houston Tx and I haven't come across any local clubs here.   There is a lot to gain from sharing time with others in a hobby like this. 

Experience is what you get right after you needed it.  I try to find people to share theirs with me. It's a lot cheaper that way.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 12:41:22 AM »
In my experience, less than half of the ML clubs are listed in those state and national lists.  Sure it would be nice but 'tain't so.   Then there are all of the folks that aren't joiners for what ever reason (expense, petty politics, silly rules, days off, distance to a club etc.) but still like to shoot. 

I agree that at least having the state of residence on the board would assist in folks getting together and as said they can always say no.

Re a new board or blog, it will have so few hits as to be useless.  At least some way to contact folks on a bigger existing site such as this will get some views.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

jamesthomas

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 02:20:07 AM »
 I put a sign up at my range today asking for any Blackpowder shooters to call me for some informal shooting and a basic get together. I keep seeing round ball patches on the ground that aren't mine so SOMEBODY else is burning powder and shooting lead. Do it at your range, become the Officer instead of just being a member.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 06:00:12 PM »
If you live in Pennsylvania and you cannot find someone who shoots or builds muzzleloaders, you are not looking very hard.  Try living in the desert of Eastern Washington state... ;)

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

mmprwarner

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »
Try getting a hold of Don getzs I think he hangs out on this board some. I believe him to be a Pennsylvania boy. I think Don knows everybody.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:17:16 PM by mmprwarner »

Offline Ezra

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 03:48:16 AM »
Burnt,

If you simply type "Pennsylvania" into the search function, you will end up with a variety of choices regarding builders, shooters and more.  Just an FYI.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"