Author Topic: Took a new shooter to the range  (Read 4833 times)

Offline RonC

Took a new shooter to the range
« on: May 22, 2014, 05:14:19 PM »
The husband of one of my university grad students came with me to the range. I brought a custom, full stock flintlock and an Austin Halleck "Hawken" style flintlock. He brought his FAL in 308.

We went through the procedures of loading and firing the flintlocks, then commenced shooting. You should have seen the grin on his face! It was almost as big as mine.

He had planned to sight-in his FAL, but after firing a few rounds, he put it aside and asked if we could do some more blackpowder shooting. And, that is what we did for the next 1.5 hours until the hail storm stopped us.

He last comment as we drove off was: "I have to get me one of those flintlocks! That was FUN!" Yes, it was fun.

Of course the car smelled from sulfur all the way home, even though I cleaned the flintlock right after we were done shooting. :D

Ron
Ron

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Took a new shooter to the range
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »
Ron,

Good for you!  That is exactly how we get our sport to grow.  At our gun club, our BP group has started to concentrate on getting people out to try muzzle loading.  We're also, working with the Boy Scouts getting them shooting muzzle loaders and they, and their fathers, are having a ball.  We supply the rifles and everything needed to shoot and give them several hours of one-on-one instruction and shooting on the range.  It's just a darn shame that relatively inexpensive, factory made, traditional muzzle loaders suitable for someone just getting into muzzle loading are nearly all gone from the market place. 

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 07:53:55 PM »
Moleeyes,
Hit the bigger gun shows. I find CVA  Bobcat rifles in fair to like new condition for $50-75 and grab them up. They can't be hurt by kids or beginners and they are reasonably accurate.
Mark
Mark

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 10:33:16 PM »
Mark,

It's hard for someone not knowing much or anything about muzzle loaders, which is the situation with someone just getting into muzzle loading, to pick up a decent gun at a gun show.  They're like a lamb in the wolf's den at a gun show. 

Fortunately, our BP group can muster up a few appropriate guns from our closets to supply to the kids and adult newcomers to use.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards

Offline trentOH

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 03:44:54 AM »

He had planned to sight-in his FAL, but after firing a few rounds, he put it aside and asked if we could do some more blackpowder shooting. And, that is what we did for the next 1.5 hours until the hail storm stopped us.

Ron

We don't get much hail where I live. In your scenario I would have to sort through some hail stones to find a few  bore size hail stones, and try to shoot them. Maybe with some wadding it would withstand the heat and acceleration. A warm barrel would be a problem of course.

Offline RonC

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 04:43:47 AM »
I don't think I am brave enough to get hit by the hail for long enough to find 45 and 50 cal hailmunition.  :D

With this experience behind me, I have contacted some Boy Scout officials to join them during range times with my flintlock. Maybe I can get some youngsters and their parents interested. So many of us are old fa....guys, we need new blood.

Ron
Ron

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 05:01:39 AM »
I don't think I am brave enough to get hit by the hail for long enough to find 45 and 50 cal hailmunition.  :D

With this experience behind me, I have contacted some Boy Scout officials to join them during range times with my flintlock. Maybe I can get some youngsters and their parents interested. So many of us are old fa....guys, we need new blood.

Ron

Ron,

One of the options in the Boy Scout Manual for getting a merit badge in shooting is using a muzzle loader.  The kids we've hosted were awed at shooting muzzle loaders, particularly flintlocks.  You might offer to work with the local scouts if any of them are interested in earning their merit badge with a muzzle loader.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards

Offline RonC

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 05:59:07 AM »
A local Scoutmaster just told me that it won't be as simple as just joining them at a range session. Due to insurance and liability issues, they have difficulty arranging range time. No more can they just go up the local canyon and shoot away. The logistics of going shooting is intimidating.
I will talk with some other Scout leaders.
Ron
Ron

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 01:35:29 PM »
A local Scoutmaster just told me that it won't be as simple as just joining them at a range session. Due to insurance and liability issues, they have difficulty arranging range time. No more can they just go up the local canyon and shoot away. The logistics of going shooting is intimidating.
I will talk with some other Scout leaders.
Ron

I'm part of a large private gun club that has extensive multi-discipline ranges, including a nice, dedicated BP range, within our complex.  Our club has an active juniors program so the boy scouts fit right in.  So I guess we have and edge over public ranges.  If you're part of a gun club, perhaps you can work it through the club.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards

Offline RonC

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
I do belong to an outdoor range (with a 2 year waiting list, nowadays). I will bring this Scout topic up at the next board meeting.

Ron
Ron

Offline trentOH

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »

Ron

That's when you are thankful you're shooting 32 or 36 caliber, and not a Brown Bess!!!

Hailmunition! I love it!