Author Topic: European Fowling Piece - Circa 1848  (Read 3046 times)

Rootsy

European Fowling Piece - Circa 1848
« on: May 17, 2014, 04:53:54 AM »
This gun is also for sale at Cabelas in Dundee, MI.  I would say European, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese?  Highly decorated half stock both stock and barrel with I believe maker's name and year of mfg (1848).  Is a smooth bore fowling piece, very light.  About 12 bore.  If you wish for more information PM me and I will try to get it for you as I am about 15 minutes away.  Again I apologize for the iphone photographs as they leave much to be desired.  

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 05:00:00 AM by Rootsy »

Offline Feltwad

Re: European Fowling Piece - Circa 1848
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:53:05 PM »
Rootsy

The gun is Spanish  and fitted with a Spanish miqulet lock converted to percussion of 1780-90,it would have been made in Madrid and the barrel makers name is in the gold inlet in the barrel just beyond the standing breech,The name may come in three lines and added together will give you the name .
These Spanish barrels were favoured by English gunmakers who used then a lot ,enclosed is a image of a similar one from my collection which has been converted to percussion and built by a English gunmaker
Feltwad

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:06:33 AM by Feltwad »

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 02:19:44 AM »
Feltwad,
May I ask why you think its converted? Its certainly clearly dated and it seems unlikely someone would add a gold inlaid date to an older barrel, though lacking that, I can see an older barrel being reused. I also don't see any sign that the lock started life as a flintlock...

I can't read the name, but if its posted I can look it up in Stockel and the Catalog of the Armeria Real.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 02:37:49 AM »
Agree JV! This appears to be a fine example of a better than average, original percussion Spanish trabuco. These are not seen too often, and make a nice addition to collections, especially here in the Southwest. As you pointed out, the use of gold makes this a more high end gun. Carved stock and engraving complete the ornamentation. These bring good money out here, but the flintlock seems to be more desirable where I live.
One of the Spanish explorers, around 1770, lost his gun up in Orange County and even though searching dilligently, they failed to recover it. The site is known today as Trabuco Canyon. Likely that some Juaneno Indian found it and kept it.
Dick

SuperCracker

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 12:37:28 AM »
Do you  have a close up shot of the stamp on the top flat of the barrel or a higher res version of the one you posted?  I have some research material about Spanish guns and will try to find some info on the maker.

Rootsy

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 04:57:57 AM »
If you follow the lik to the as posted photo and click on it you get a full size photo.  if I recall correctly cabelas was asking just shy of $700 for it.