Author Topic: hidden hinge PB and rifle sights  (Read 4032 times)

kaintuck

hidden hinge PB and rifle sights
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:55:53 PM »
the hidden hinge PB is comming along....still needs a final polish before re-moving and mailing out to be engraved. the release button is the 2nd screw on the BP return...the other is still a 'try screw"....so they will both look the same when done...

the sights as i am working them...TOTW small low sight, a sight from the RR spike, and a couple of sights(still needs some work) from brother Henry's metal shop....

and this is a bunch of starter sights...drilled for the cut-out....and all in-the-raw........LOTS of saw and fileing~ take about 3 hrs from this point to make one

Offline wattlebuster

Re: hidden hinge PB and rifle sights
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 04:37:09 AM »
Lookin good. I like the sights too ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »
On drilling the sight blanks for thinning the upright, here's an idea.

Start the hole with your regular drills, then switch to a specially ground drill that has a ball end to clean up the hole and give the right contour.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
On drilling the sight blanks for thinning the upright, here's an idea.

Start the hole with your regular drills, then switch to a specially ground drill that has a ball end to clean up the hole and give the right contour.

Acer....I did a bunch of blanks to try different things...and yup, got some of those balls for the drill press, I'm just trying to figure WHEN to chuck one up.....after I cut the top off, or before when the drilled starter hole is there?...I don't want to ruin some of my grinding balls unnecessarily.......
The one I'm doing this morning has the wings on the upper part....not like the tombstones.... :D
The dovetail part is hard also....getting a nice angle......
My elbows are getting a workout!!!
Marc

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 04:56:58 PM »
I mean grind a two-flute regular drill to a ball-end profile. It will wander all over the place unless you provide a starter hole.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

kaintuck

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 06:43:56 PM »
I mean grind a two-flute regular drill to a ball-end profile. It will wander all over the place unless you provide a starter hole.

Ahhhhhhhh.......I see said the blind man!
Marc

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 11:52:21 PM »
Great job so far Kaintuck - I like your cat too.  My old cat would never stay out of the camera's way when I was taking gun photos, I'm sure he snuck into a few that made it onto the forum over the years. 

Back to sights - Acer's on the mark for grinding a dead drill bit into a ball end.  That said, I've been studying rear sights a lot lately and have found many that have a flat bottom hole instead of rounded; go figure.  I don't do enough shooting to know whether that makes a scrap of difference with the sight picture. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

kaintuck

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 03:14:23 AM »
I did grind a large drill bit.....took a blank and re-did the hole.....then did the filefilefile thing for a low simple rear sight. It does look better.

I had another one that just needed the "ears" on it......instead a file, I picked up the devils toy....dremel....and yup.....in a second ruined it....dremel a need to pitched to the bottom of the sea.....

::)
Good thing I have more blanks...... ;D I WILL get the hang of making these things!

And them kats are just about everywhere around here...that one in the picture has kitty asthma...so he stays in the spare bedroom where I have my desk and small tinker stuff.....he was a rescue from a parking lot....when he was about 4weeks old!
They all are good company...and they treat me like I was Elvis! :D

Marc

oldone

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 03:41:35 AM »
Kaintuck, this is obviously the cats meow! ;D excellent work, bet you got a lot of time in it.

kaintuck

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 03:23:20 PM »
Kaintuck, this is obviously the cats meow! ;D excellent work, bet you got a lot of time in it.

I'm gonna get my time from a hour per, to less....I find steps in making...drill the hole, counter drill with rounded bit, slice to top off with hacksaw, file, flip each side and file, flip to file the sides to produce the 'ears'...round them off...polish. The jewel saw the cut. And file design if needed.

Hour per.....

And never use the devils tool.....keep with hand files.....
Marc