Author Topic: Kentucky fowling piece  (Read 3819 times)

Micah2

Kentucky fowling piece
« on: May 25, 2014, 05:43:57 AM »
Will a c weight colerain in .54 OR barrel be lightweight?  I want to build a Kentucky style and or unique fowling piece but I want light and trim.  I am interested in these guns  and the calibers and barrels.  Thanks.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Re: Kentucky fowling piece
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 06:22:53 AM »
For a lite weight barrel get with Greg Christian at ghchristian2001@yahoo.com.  His 28 bore bbl. will make a 5-6 lb gun 36" to 42" bbl... and wait is not toooo long.  This one is 5 1/2 lb ready to shoot grouse.....Tom

click to see her go together.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 06:37:56 AM »
Colerain makes two O/R barrels in .54. The .54 cal 38 inch fowler barrel weighs 4.20 lbs. and the .54 cal 44 inch fowler barrel weighs 5.08 lbs. ( according to my TOTW catalog)....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 03:25:26 AM »
Some of the barrels that come in different calibers have the same outside dimensions, that is, the smaller the bore, the heavier the barrel.  A single barrel that comes in 28 gauge, 24 gauge, and 20 gauge, will therefore, be lightest in 20 gauge.  You need to check about this before you buy as some of the barrels may have different outside dimensions for each gauge or caliber.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:55:57 PM »
Long Hammock Barrel Co of FL makes a relatively thin walled smooth-bore barrel. Contact them directly or Barbie Chambers at Buckeye Barrels. I used a 46" OTR barrel of theirs and I like the thin muzzle.

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 11:37:37 PM »
Will a c weight colerain in .54 OR barrel be lightweight?
No! and neither is a 20 in my opinion.

I am not sure how thin you want the walls but I had a 16 bore "C" profile o/r on order from Rice. Jason emailed me Monday that it was ready. I hope to have it the first of next week so I will be glad to weigh and make measurements for you when it gets here.

Had Charlie Burton make a 16 bore 40" "Thomas Richards" English profile barrel and it balances and handles like a dream. It has a large breech but quickly tapers toward the mid-section. The walls on it are fairly thin. Charlie will custom make the barrel to your spec's as will Ed Rayl.

Dennis

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 11:39:02 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Micah2

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 04:28:34 AM »
Thank you Dennis.  Seems like you jogged my memory that 16 bore was the lighter barrel.  It's seemingly odd that this is the case but it boils down to barrel wall thickness I am sure you are correct.  I'm very glad I have not ordered barrel yet.