Author Topic: Wood Replcement  (Read 3523 times)

George F.

Wood Replcement
« on: February 03, 2009, 02:53:26 AM »
Well, I'm inlaying some wire inlay in the wrist, and a piece of wood broke loose as I was stabbing in a groove doing a cross over loop. The piece is  about 1/8". I gently removed it and when I tried to grab it, boing!!, I launched it, never to be seen again. How do you go about shaping the replacement piece of wood? Is it best to over size it like say 1/4" and drill a hole for it to fit? I'm really not looking forward to this,  ...Geo.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Wood Replcement
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:11:22 AM »
 See if you can match the grain and glue in a sliver to match.
Real hair puller....
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 03:12:14 AM »
well depending on the design of the wire inlay, why not consider a decorative inlay of a leaf or flower over the chipped out part, im not sure how well a patch piece will hild in that place without adjusting you wire inlay anyways, however i am sure there are people on here who have far more experience than i do with this, this is just an idea i had with how i might go about fixing it if it were mine
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

George F.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 03:27:35 AM »
well depending on the design of the wire inlay, why not consider a decorative inlay of a leaf or flower over the chipped out part, im not sure how well a patch piece will hild in that place without adjusting you wire inlay anyways, however i am sure there are people on here who have far more experience than i do with this, this is just an idea i had with how i might go about fixing it if it were mine
Well, I thought of that. However I have a leaf design for a wrist carving. The lock side is already done, now I working on the side plate side. Both sides will mirror images..

George F.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 04:13:41 AM »
Well, I replaced the tiny circle. I found a gouge that when rotated in a complete circle was the same size. First I used a hollow drill that I had from Woodcraft. Then drilled down about 1/4". Next I used the gouge and turned it in  a complete circle the center of the ring from the hollow bit. Gradually lowering the gouge circle. then broke it free in a large can, careful not to loose it. Cleaned it up some and glued it in.   ...Geo.

keweenaw

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:55:56 PM »
Replaced pieces are best hidden if they are very irregular in shape.  That makes it tough since round or square pieces are easier to cut and fit.  Just think of putting a piece back in as an hour plus job and do it.

Tom